Last Mate | 6 💔

Waiting nervously behind the double doors, Luffy was told to take a seat for what would appear to be the seventh time, and even given a warning of being kicked out of the hospital if he ceased to stand clear of the emergency room entrance.

Defeated by the threats of getting banned from the one place Zoro was in, fighting for his life, Luffy was forced to cooperate with the security guards and remain seated for the time being.

Even the littlest of sounds triggered him to look all around, searching to see if there was news on Zoro.

"LUFFY?" A group of pirates rushed into the hospital, startling the regular looking civilians who were in the waiting room.

Luffy greeted them with a frown on his face.

"It was my fault..."

"It took us so long to find this hospital. We heard what happened, it's all over the news. I knew you would get into trouble, you moron!!"

Nami scolded, holding back on giving Luffy a punch to the head when she realized how strange he seemed.

"Hey, you don't look so good. What exactly happened?" She asked.

"What have you heard?" Luffy responded, placing his hands over his head.

"One of the Beast Pirates was extremely pissed off because of some suicidal idiot who stood in front of their truck, apparently. I don't know what any of this has to do with you, let alone Zoro, but your names are all over town now!" She informed the Captain.

"That damn moss head, always making life difficult for all of us. I bet he's the reason this happened in the first place, knowing how careless he is."

Before Sanji could continue badmouthing Zoro, Luffy decided to clear things up in between all of them, and give them his side of the story.

~~~

"YOU? You were the suicidal one then!?" The crewmates shouted, being asked to tone their voices down by the security guard who wanted to send everyone flying with one swift kick.

After Luffy nodded at them in confirmation, the rest of the Strawhats were stunned by his unexpected answer.

"Luffy, come clean with us: What really happened last night, huh?" His friends spoke, staring blankly at the Captain.

"Why do you need to know about last night?"

"Because all of this is a cause of what happened yesterday. Look at the situation you two got yourselves into now!" Chopper huffed.

"What happened in between us is our-"

"We're not trying to invade your privacy, Luffy. But what happened today got all of us involved, because of your decisions!" Franky groaned, making hand gestures in between each of his sentences.

The pressure Luffy was put under and the constant sounds he kept hearing from the impact of Zoro's body when it was hit by the truck was replaying on his mind, driving him crazy.

"Luffy? Give him space, guys-" By the time they tried fixing the unintentional damage they inflicted on their Captain by filling his mind with questions and blindly judging him, Luffy exploded.

"If you wanna know what happened so badly, I'll tell you, got that!?" He inhaled, unevenly again.

"The person I loved the most right now saved my life when I tried ending it thanks to a breakup I forced us to have! NOW SHUT UP!" He was about to walk out when from afar, an alarm started going off.

"Code Blue in room 44, Code Blue." A voice announced from an intercome speaker that connected to many more throughout the building.

"Room forty four..." Luffy's eyes widened as he stood closer to a worker who was speaking on the situation that was unraveling right before his eyes.

"What's going on, Miyagi?"

"The patient in room forty four went into cardiac arrest. He didn't make it."

"We have to contact his family members right away."

Though his legs were on the brink of collapsing, Luffy used the last bit of energy he had within him to take off at the speed of light, pushing through the hospital employees who were in his way, trying to stop him from entering a restricted area within the building.

Using his devil fruit abilities, the boy broke through as many barriers as they put up for him to not make it to his destination.

"R-room forty four..."

Luffy held his chest, prying open the door to a room with strange, intoxicating smells of disinfectants and other scents that invaded the boy's nostrils, he ran towards a group of surgeons who were placing a large, heavy cover over a person's body.

His first instinct was to fall to his knees in front of everyone.

"Sir! Sir, you can't be in here. Get-"

"I know this person. I'm begging you, please give me a few minutes with them. Please!" He bowed, putting his pride aside to beg for the workers to give him, at the very least, five minutes to spend with the person they had left covered with a heavy, dark green sheet.

"..." A nurse took pity on the dark haired boy, seeing how bruised his body was and how broken hearted he genuinely appeared from up close.

"If you wish to stay here, even for two minutes, you must wear a mask."

"Then... Does that mean..?"

"You can stay, but only for a little while." A wave of relief washed over Luffy, as he was able to stay alone with the patient the hospital workers allowed him to see for one last time.

"You cannot remove the cover on his body, and keep your mask on at all times while you are in here. Can you do that for us?" A surgeon asked, earning an immediate nod from Luffy.

"We'll leave you alone then... I'm very sorry about your loss, young boy."

As he left, the tears Luffy had unknowingly been holding in all this time, finally started to stream down from his cheeks, landing on top of the blanket that was laid to rest over the deceased person's body.

"I never even told you why we needed to break up. Let alone how we could get back together, Zoro..."

~~~