Chapter 29

Back in the car the two of you drove through Hawkins, seeing all the empty shops. You've never seen Hawkins like this before, you can tell the panic in people's faces as they rushed to get their things packed into their cars. Guess you weren't the only one leaving this town.

Noticing that you were getting close to the trailer park you stared out the window seeing the blockade of cops. "Did you tell him? Mr.Munson? Does he know what happened to him?" Turning to look at Steve in which he answered yes. "Dustin saw him at Hawkins high. There's a lot of people there who lost their homes and he's one of them. He still puts up a poster searching for Eddie but he knows the truth..." "Can we go? Please? I-I just want to see how he's doing... He lost his nephew, Steve. Please?" Hearing the sadness in your voice he agreed and turned the direction of Hawkins highschool where there were multiple people scrambling in and out with supplies.
Parking the car and walking inside the highschool gym you searched in the crowd of people until you finally saw him by the poster wall. Running to Mr.Munson you tapped on his shoulder and without a thought in the world he quickly hugged you. The both of you held each other crying. "My boy... He's gone..." Mr.Munson whispered and you held him tighter. After a bit he pulled away and wiped his tears with the back of his hand. "He loved you, a lot. I still remember the day he came home after your first date. No one could wipe that smile off his face, I was so happy that he had found someone. Never in your mind doubt his love for you, sweetheart." Listening to his words made you smile and cry some more. Lifting your head up seeing his hand trying to give you Eddie's guitar pick necklace. "Thank you, Mr.Munson... but that's yours to keep. I'll always have a part of him in my heart. He always talked about how you got him into music so that belongs to you." Gently pushing away his hand and he clenched it placing it close to his chest. Hugging him one last time you said your goodbye and he wished you the best in life. "If you ever come back to Hawkins, know that you're welcome to visit me anytime. Thank you, sweetheart." Kissing his cheek, you let go from the hug and walked back to Steve who quickly wiped his eyes. "Thank you," you whispered to him as you turned to look back at Mr.Munson who was just staring at the Missing person's poster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reaching the hospital the both of you walked out of the car and into the hospital building. Following Steve up to Max's room the both of you enter and see Lucas reading to Max who was still unconscious.

Walking over to her you placed your hand on her head and wiped away the hair that was on her forehead giving it a little kiss. "She's so cold," you said, feeling the temperature of her still body.
"The doctor's can't figure out why and always come to check her temperature hoping it has changed. They don't know when she'll wake up or if she even is going to..." Lucas closed the book and held onto Max's left hand,"I know she will but I just hope she can see." Not understanding what he meant and asked him, there was a long pause and he started to explain what had happened to them. As he described in detail, you pictured it all in your head and it made you so angry once Lucas talked about Jason,"At least someone got what they deserved," you said while wiping away the tears. Looking back at Max in her bed you couldn't help but to stare as she laid still. There was no color to her skin, her hair was a bit of a mess and you knew that if she had woken up right now she would be upset about how they had her looking. Letting out a silent laugh you ran your fingers through her hair and started to braid it. "See, that's better," smiling and turned to look at Lucas who couldn't keep his eyes off of her. "She'll wake up soon, I know she will. Max will be so happy knowing you didn't leave her side for a single moment. When she wakes up, can the two of you promise to call me? I'll make it my mission to come down and see her." Lucas shook his head yes but gave you a questionable look, you explained that your family was moving to Florida and immediately his face saddened. Giving him a hug the two of you said goodbye and promised to see each other before your final move.

The car ride back to your house was completely silent, Steve didn't say anything and neither did you. Once reaching your house Steve parked the car and the both of you sat in complete silence. Breaking the silence you turned to face him and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, "Thank you for taking me to see his resting place. It meant a lot. I'm sure wherever he is, he's thanking you too." Unbuckling your seatbelt you opened the car door to leave but before you did Steve held onto your hand. "Y/N. I- I-I hope you know we tried to save him, we really did." "Steve, I know you did. You're a great friend and thank you for giving me the comfort I needed. Goodnight," Giving him another kiss on the cheek and letting go of his hand as you walked away from his car and entered your house.

Looking around your vacant house seeing that your mom has finished packing everything in the living room and kitchen. "I'm glad you're home, are you hungry? I can make you a sandwich really quickly." You just shook your head no and kissed her cheek and told her you were just going to your room and sleep. "Oh. Okay sweetheart, I did pack some of your stuff while you were gone. I left two boxes, there is one for donations and one for things to keep. You can decide what you want and don't want. Goodnight honey, love you." "Love you too," was the last thing you said as you closed the door of your room and looked around seeing how empty it already was. Checking the time on the clock it was already 8:30pm and you decided to go through your closet a little and pick out some items before going to bed.

After thirty minutes you got exhausted and decided that you were going to bed. Taking your long sleeve shirt off you saw that Eddie's backpack was still at the foot of your bed. Getting emotional you looked through it and found multiple of his shirts, bringing one close to your face and inhaling the scent. Smiling as the tears formed in your eyes and deciding to put on. Climbing into bed you closed your eyes and slowly started to drift off to sleep with Eddie in your mind, smiling as you began to dream about him.