Chapter 35: Everyone Deserves Someone to be There for Them

-----------------Jason's POV: ---------------------

I quietly made my way down the hall, hoping no one would hear or see me as I tried to grab my morning meal. I'd purposefully been coming later lately due to...recent events.

I admit, I acted a bit childish and stupid, but it was unreasonable to think that someone who felt so strongly of...there, wouldn't know or have been to that place before.

It was unforgettable. Or so I thought.

It wasn't unreasonable and I would die on that hill defending my case. No matter how much Roy thinks I was overreacting.

Though I probably shouldn't have shown him a picture of her first.

I shoved his annoying ass to the side as I slowly made my way down the stairs, walking through the now empty dining room, vacant of its usual tomfoolery and unruliness. The memory of mashed potatoes rolling down my face made my pace quicken slightly.

As I pushed my way into the kitchen, I began to think of what I'd grab and go. I didn't want to be out here longer than needed in case I ran into one of the others, God forbid it be Damien and his snarky sneer. I swear it's been getting worse in recent years, and yet everyone seems to think he's getting better.

Yeah right.

I walked over to the pantry, scanning the various shelves for something to eat, eventually deciding on some bread to make a sandwich. I pulled the loaf out, setting it on the counter as I tried to think of the sandwich I wanted to make. It wasn't more than a second before I just decided on a ham and cheese sandwich. Something simple and effective. It's as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As I was grabbing items from the fridge a particular snotty voice caught my attention from the dining room.

"Actually, I was wondering if I could tell you something." I could feel myself deflate at the voice of Damein, his prideful self no doubt coming to annihilate my peaceful scrounging.

"What's up Damein?" Bruce's voice sounded out. If I wasn't deflated before, I sure was now. The combo was a dangerous one, with Damein rolling out the insults that actually made sense and Bruce giving the 'I'm not mad, just highly disappointed in your existence' look. A combo I'm not sure was worth a ham and cheese sandwich.

"My school is holding a parent teacher conference tomorrow; they'll be telling you of my amazing grades and achievements in school which I'm sure you'll be happy to be informed of." Damein said, and I could almost see his snotty smile as he looked firmly ahead, not even giving the light of day to the person he was talking to.

"Sure, I can go. What time is it?" He asked, the two's footsteps stopping near the door, and my pacing becoming quicker as I laid the ingredients down quickly.

"It'll be after school." I could almost hear a hint of excitement in his voice. It wasn't hard to imagine. Though Damein may not be my favorite, getting attention from Bruce was difficult, what with the balancing of his job and the 3 million kids he's adopted, not to mention his midnight bat hour, it's easy to see how anyone could be spread thin. It wasn't an excuse though by any means. His children deserved to be paid attention to, more so than they were previously.

"Alright, I'll be there," Bruce said in an almost cheery voice. I swear I missed something lately, but I wasn't very interested in it at the moment. For now, I was keener on getting out of here before the others came in. I picked up my plate, grabbing a juice box and a bag of chips before running out the other door, hearing the two footsteps come in right behind me as I left.

I let out a short breath of relief as I hurried my way to the room, desperately trying to keep my distance from everyone else in the house as well.

—---------------(Next day) --------------------