Chapter 6: Sister

< SEOJUN POV >

"Do you think..." Jugyeong hums under her breath, "She told me she was okay with us dating but now I don't know- I... She hasn't spoken to me since you were in a coma, Seojun."

"And you believed that?" Seojun couldn't believe Jugyeong could be so naive. As precious as she was, she could be an idiot. If she wanted something, she would convince herself everything and everyone was okay and she could go ahead and do whatever.

"I... She was very convincing."

"Sujin can lie really easily." Suho said in solidarity, opening another box of pizza. "But she usually doesn't blow up like that, not unless something major has changed in her life."

"Maybe that's why she's not going to her study sessions?" Jugyeong asks.

Seojun shifts in the hard plastic seat, after having rehab this morning he was beyond exhausted and just wanted to go outside and feel the sunlight on his face.

"Maybe it's not our business, if she wants us to know she will tell us."

"That's not Sujin." Suho denies, his voice steadily growing more annoying, "She always wants support, but never asks for it."

"Like you." Jugyeong points out to Suho.

"Then ask." Seojun grabs his phone from his pocket and shoves an earbud in his ear, "Ask if she wants to talk about anything. Don't force her. Just... I don't know- give her a break."

"But if she's angry at me-"

Seojun cuts Jugyeong off, "Not everyone is going to like you. No matter how hard you try. So, get over it and stop forcing things."

He ignores the rest of their conversation, too busy listening to his earbuds as he types out a message.

When is Gowoon coming to visit? It's been weeks since she said she'd come by.

While Seojun was annoyed by his lack of visitors, he could handle it if it was from the school kids, but his own sister? It hurt. Her not coming over, not even texting him, acting as if he was dead to her, it was a complete betrayal.

His phone chimes twice, the robotic voice on his phone stating kindly, "Incoming text from... Eomma. Tap twice to read the message."

Suho and Jugyeong both chit chat idly while Seojun focuses on the message, tapping the screen twice.

"Message from... Eomma. Message contents.... Gowoon has been extremely busy, but she promises to see you tonight. She gets off of work at four."

Work? His sister was just starting high school, she didn't need a job. She needed to study and pass her music classes. She shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of working and keeping up the household. That was Seojun's job.

Seojun: Why on Earth is she working?

There's no reply for a long time, and Seojun could honestly lose his mind. He returns to his bed, not caring that Jugyeong was still here. He pulled the blankets over his head and sat in silence, keeping his eyes clenched shut.

His phone never buzzes, Seojun eventually falls asleep in this position, and it's a slight tugging on his bed covers that forces him to roll over and groan, "What?"

"Your sister is here, out in the courtyard." Suho states blandly, "Can you walk?"

"Not that far." Seojun sat up and swung his legs over the bed, "I'll need my chair."

Suho disappears and comes back shortly after, his warm hand taking Seojun's and placing it on the arm rest of the wheelchair.

Seojun transfers to the chair and shoves his phone in the pocket of his pajama pants... The same pair he hasn't changed out of in three days.