Christmas

A few more weeks had gone by rather quickly in fact. Time flies when you're having fun right?Things were going well. Although we still hadn't told anyone that Nathan and I are dating.  Susan is still getting used to the idea.

It's coming up now to Christmas Break. And I'm now stuck. Stuck in between two families.

Nathan has already mentioned me spending the holiday with him and Susan.

My mother has already asked if I'm joining her and Dad at their house. And then my sister, asking if we are to go to her house or she comes to stay with me.

Help!!!

It's all that's been on my mind since the beginning of December. My mom and Dad are pestering me for an answer!

I love Christmas, I really do. I love the idea of spending it with people you love. Quality family time. All being together. I love all the lights you see when you leave home, the Christmas shopping you can do. Children excitedly waiting for the day to arrive for what they'll receive from Santa.

I love it all.

But I'm totally not loving having to choose between a partner and parents! Trying to avoid disappointing one.

If only I could tell them about Nathan and I, then maybe Christmas could be spent with everyone I care about.

"Hello, earth to Katie!" My attention is caught by a hand waving in front of my face.

"What?!"

"Why are you sitting with such a scowl on your face?" My mom asks as we're sat watching tv at her home one Sunday afternoon.

"Uh.. nothing at all.."

"Sure.. you're my daughter. I know when something is on your mind!"

"Just thinking of Christmas and the holidays. Im ready for a break!"

"Sure you are, you've been working so hard since you went to this college, we hardly see you now!"

"I know.."

"So that's why, when you stay with us for the break, you can relax.."

"Mom.. I haven't said I'm definitely staying here yet.."

"What?" She acts in surprise. "You always stay with us, what's changed? Who else would you depend Christmas with?"

"Well.. uh.. nothing.. I'll speak to Kyra.. see what she's planning to do.."

"You won't need to, your Dad spoke to her yesterday. They're staying with us. And then there will be the second spare room for you..."

My shock for her making my mind up never really left me. I went home that night, thinking of the possibilities of spending the day with my family or Nathan and Susan. Or both? Hmm!

Maybe I could split the day? It could work? Sharing the day with both of them? One in the morning and the other...

No. Impossible as that would lead to all sorts of questions from my Mom and Dad.

Stuck in my own thoughts I give my sister a call for help..

"Why don't you just tell them?" She tells me, so helpful as always.

"You know how dad can be. His younger daughter dating a man so much older than her. He will never approve."

"You never know, he accepted Gareth and I pretty much straight away.. who said it won't be the same for you .."

"Yeah you and Gareth were different..I just have this weird feeling about it all and I just want us all to be together.."

"I know you do, but unless you tell them it's never going to happen"