Our Destiny

"Did she really say that we're having a boy?" I ask Nathan when we arrive home later that evening.

"She sure did.. our very own healthy baby boy.. we're going to have a son.." he meets me in the hallway, a hand placed to rest on my stomach again.. he loves it.. "Incredible isn't it.."

"It sure is.. are you happy? I know you wanted a daughter.."

"Yes.. absolutely! I honestly didn't mind.. but I know you wanted a boy, so that makes me happy knowing you are happy.."

"Look at him.." I hold out the scan photos we were given.. I know it's hard to make it all out but still it's our baby.. "That's our boy right there.."

"It sure is.. we need to give him a name.."

"We do.. so what are you thinking?" I ask him and he ponders a little.

"Maybe Henry.. or Jack.. or.."

"Not bad.. I quite like Jacob.." I offer but I don't think he's keen.

"We've got plenty of time to think about it.. for now let's just enjoy this.." he takes the scan from my hands.. "I'm gonna keep this in my wallet.."

"That's adorable.."

"Right next to my picture of you.. and Susan.. so the three of you are with me wherever I go.."

"You have a picture of me in there?" I ask curiously.

"Of course I do.." he takes out his wallet, opening it up to show me a picture he took when we were away, the same day he gave me the locket.. "I'm reminded every time I open it that I have a beautiful partner who I love with all my heart"

"That.. is so cute.."

"It's one of my favourite photos of you.. you look stunning, remember that day?"

"I do.."

"When I gave you the locket.. and you still wear it every day.." he closes his wallet and with one hand lifts up my chain to hold the locket in his palm.

"It's my reminder that I have a beautiful partner who I love with all my heart.." I repeat his words and he flashes a smile towards me.. before letting go and tucking it back in my shirt.. "Still my favourite gift.."

"I'm glad.. I wanted to get you something meaningful.."

"And you did.. in more ways than one.." I glance down to my ring.. "We're getting married soon.."

"We are.." he smiles, resting his forehead against mine as he holds me close.. "I can't wait for you to become my wife.."

"Are you nervous?"

"No.. not really.. are you?"

"A little.." I admit quietly.. "I just.. it's something new isn't it, I don't want becoming married to ruin what we have.. I don't wanna lose the magic.."

"I'm telling you sweetheart, it won't happen.. I swear.."

"I just get anxious.. things changing.. that I can't control.."

"Don't worry, it just means we become a stronger unit.. but everything will still be perfect.."

Our night is spent just enjoying each other's company, my mind is on the baby, I can't believe I'm having a baby boy.. a son. Like I wanted, a mini Nathan.. I know he'll have those big brown eyes of his, I'm in for some trouble with that.

"You alright?" Nathan asks after he switches his bedside lamp off for the night, I can feel his finger tips running up my arm slowly.. as he lies beside me.. "You're quiet.."