13

"Uhh, Mel. I know you're totally busy and stuff but I just wanted to let you know it's uhh..it's been a little over a week..."
"Shit."
"If you find me, make sure it's just you..."
"Got it. Not if, when. I will find you."

I was stressed and thirsty which was not a great combo. As a dhampir, I only needed a moderate amount of blood a week but it slipped my mind and the longer I went the thirstier I'd get. It'd be a repeat of the night I turned 18 and my vampiric powers were awakened. The night Zeldris found me and forced me to drink his blood. Thinking about it only made it worse but there wasn't anything else I could do in here but think.

I was losing track of the concept of time. I had no idea whether it'd been thirty minutes or three hours. I couldn't stop pacing, my mind was fixated on the one thing I needed right now. If Meliodas was listening to my thoughts, he'd likely be increasingly worried. I was spiraling.

Was this Fraudrin's plan?
To starve me into submission?

I hadn't thought of that but it was a pretty smart plan to get me to do his bidding or even just terrorize a portion of Liones.

What if Meliodas showed up with the other Sins?
What if I hurt one of them?
What if they didn't want to be around me anymore?
What if everyone found out what I was?
What if-

"Ali, you gotta calm down. Freaking out is only going to make it worse."
"I can't Mel. There's nothing else in here for me to distract myself."

Why was I spiraling so fast?
Was it the stress of being captured?
The stress of potentially facing Zeldris?

I could hear explosions and fighting outside but nothing could distract me from the thirst.
This wasn't normal, I shouldn't have been feeling this insane this quickly. There's no way enough time had passed to cause me to be that thirsty.
Another explosion and suddenly I was free falling. Wherever I was must've been hit. This was going to hurt. I was no longer on the floor of the room but suspended mid-air as the cube fell, impact was imminent.

Black.

"Merlin...us...cube...now!" I heard mumbling. I didn't want to open my eyes. But as soon as my mind realized it was conscious, all it could think of was blood. I felt a warm hand on my cheek, "Ali?" My eyes flickered open to see Meliodas above me but he saw the look in my eyes and turned to yell at Merlin, "Get everyon-" he started to order but it was too late, they watched me bite his neck. There were gasps as he turned his head back towards me and wrapped his arms around me, willing everyone to go away in his head but it didn't matter anymore. Tears ran down my cheeks as the hunger left me and I'd realized how many of our friends were around us. I released his neck from my mouth and buried my face in it and quietly cried, shivering in his arms. Meliodas stroked my hair and squeezed me tighter against him.

Merlin dropped the cube around Meliodas and I when she saw I was no longer a threat but I wanted to hide away from everyone permanently. I could feel their eyes on me. This had to have been a ploy to expose not just me but Meliodas to everyone around him. It wouldn't take them long to realize that he was immune to the undead enslavement that happens when bitten by a vampire if they didn't totally drain your blood. "I'm sorry," I choked out against his skin. "It's okay, it's not your fault," he cooed and continued stroking my hair. "Captain," Merlin's voice. She stood behind us with Arthur, Elizabeth, a tiny Hawk, Ban, King, Gowther, and Diane. He nodded, she was asking if she could explain to the others what just happened.

"Aleister, or Ali, is the last remaining vampire in existence. More specifically, she's a dhampir, half-human, half-vampire. Our Captain offered his blood to her on a regular basis so she'd no longer have to hunt unsuspecting humans in villages," Merlin explained. "I thought the vampires were executed in the Holy War, Lady Merlin," Arthur commented. "They were," she confirmed. "So Ali is...?" Diane asked. Merlin nodded, "Ali has been alive since before the Holy War 3,000 years ago." King frowned, he knew there was something different about me, "Why isn't the Captain affected by her magic? Doesn't a vampire's bite turn you into an undead slave?" Merlin didn't answer. "Why don't you enlighten us, Captain? Is this the complicated relationship Ali was talking about?" Ban added to the interrogation. Merlin kept quiet still. "Merlin! Are you not going to answer us?" King shouted. "It's up to the Captain to share the rest," she replied.