37

"But, why wasn't Daddy around? What happened to him?" Niya's voice was sad. I looked at the brothers and shrugged, "They're almost 12 now, it's going to be difficult to keep things from them much longer," I pointed out. They both sighed and nodded, sitting down on either side of me. "It's going to be a long story, so you better get comfortable," I told the twins in front of us. Zel put his arm around my waist and Meliodas put his hand in mine. "Our story, believe it or not, started over 3,000 years ago," I started, smiling as their eyes widened exponentially. "Don't start interrupting with questions, Azriel, or we'll never get the story out," Zeldris stopped his son, who's mouth was already open.

"A little over 3,000 years ago, the demon and goddess clans were in constant turmoil. Your Uncle used to lead high-ranked demon warriors called the Ten Commandments against the goddess clan, and the other clans who fought with them. Your Dad was known as the Executioner for the Demon King at the time, your grandfather. Half-vampires were persecuted and killed then, so they'd actually come to kill me when we met. I ran into your father the night of my 18th birthday, when my vampiric powers awakened. But, he couldn't bring himself to do it," this story was gonna be long but they were glued to every word, making faces as they reacted. "Is it because Daddy fell in love with you right then?!" Niya exclaimed, looking at her father excitedly. He blushed and looked at me lovingly, "That's right, but she left out that I actually met her when she was a child. I was born 232 years before her."

Azriel made a disgusted face, "Ewww! Mom, he's so much older than you!" but Niya squealed with excitement, she was a romantic at heart like Diane. "Not quite, actually," I giggled at my son's outburst. "I spent the next two years with your Dad and Uncle, learning to become an assassin for the demon army. But, your Uncle..." I trailed off looking at him. He squeezed my hand and Zel and I weren't expecting him to be completely truthful about what happened next and we couldn't stop him as he blurted it out. "I left the demon realm because I fell in love with your Mom and didn't want to come between her and your Dad. Then I fell for your Aunt Elizabeth, who was a full goddess at the time," Meliodas explained, the twins stared at us with their mouths wide open.

"When I left, it started the first Holy War and the vampire clan betrayed the demon clan...meaning your Dad was tasked with executing them...including your Mom. He had her leave the demon realm until things calmed down but..." Meliodas trailed off and looked at his brother. "The war waged on and eventually the goddess clan sacrificed their physical bodies to seal away the demon clan, including me. Your Mom was left alone in Britannia, apart from your Uncle, for 3,000 years. Meliodas was cursed for betraying the demon clan and loving a goddess, and Elizabeth was cursed for loving a demon. He was immortal and your Aunt was cursed with infinite reincarnation...every time she'd be reborn she'd find your Uncle, fall in love, but when she regained her memories of her past life, she'd die in front of his eyes within three days," Zel continued the story. Both of the twins had tears falling down their cheeks, realizing how tragic the three adults' lives in front of them had been.

"I hated your Uncle for 2,000 of those 3,000 years, blaming him for your Dad being sealed away and being separated from me. But, it's lonely when you're the only two people in a place that are immortal, so we eventually gravitated to each other. And, well, I fell in love with your Uncle and we were together on and off for 1,000 years..." Niya looked at her Dad in horror and Azriel looked at me and his Uncle in shock. I blushed heavily, but continued, "In the last 30 or so years, the seal on the demon clan was broken and your Dad was finally released. He didn't age and wasn't conscious in that seal, so technically I'm significantly older than him now. But, so were the Ten Commandments, who your Dad was leading then. However, your Dad hated your Uncle by then, blaming him for me having to leave the demon realm. Your Dad planned on leading the demon clan to take over Britannia and kill your Uncle..." I trailed off, thinking of how painful it'd been to leave Meliodas but how happy I'd been to be with Zeldris again.