Episode 8 - 'Til Death Do Us Part

PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS BELOW CAREFULLY
chapter contains the following:
mentions of torture and abuse, attempted suicide, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, several panic attacks, overall a very long, heavy, sad, depression-focused chapter.

if you're uncomfortable with reading this (which is completely fine), don't worry, i'll make sure to do a recap of the whole thing at the end of the chapter. (please be aware that depression is something each person suffering from it experiences differently. i used to suffer from it myself and will therefore put my experiences into this chapter, and it may or may not be representative for others suffering from it. if you feel you need help or your mental health is decreasing, please seek out help from professionals. stay safe. x)

At nineteen, you don't know who they are

At nineteen, you don't know who they are. The men in the black uniforms. You don't know the middle-aged man in front of you, with dark hair, a golden ring on his index finger and a somewhat cheap-looking suit. He introduces himself to you as Derek Simmons.

It's a name you will learn to fear later on. A name that comes with pain and cruelty.

He watches you and you watch him with mutual distrust. He and his men have more faith in your newly gained abilities than you do. They've set up a program for you, one that comes with more pain and suffering than you could ever imagine.

It starts with simple training. Fighting techniques, foreign languages, working with firearms, operating vehicles, the list goes on and on. They want you to be an elite agent, even without your strength. They're shocked at how quick you progress. You're a good student, eager to learn, even.

They take everything. Your saliva, your hair, your blood. They scan your body and measure your heart rate, breathing and brain waves. Every test is overseen by a pair of hazel eyes.

He never tends to trust his subordinates. Especially not with this. With you. You're too valuable for that.

They tell you that the higher-ups have high expectations of you. If you don't do well, there's a good chance they just might get rid of you.

The pressure weighs heavy on your shoulders. Too heavy. He tells you you're nothing but a malfunctioning weapon, even though he knows you're more than capable.

So your training becomes harder and tougher. They weren't kind to you before, but still.

You argue with them at first. The violence and abuse starts with harsh slaps that echo against the stone walls of the training facility. It shouldn't come as a surprise to them that you try to escape from them weeks later.

You fail, and are reminded that the consequences to you running are very real and very serious. They threaten you by holding a gun to the head of your loved ones when they sleep.