Chapter 7

Janella's POV.

5 years had passed since that incident, but I was still wondering if anything would have been different if I didn't picked up my phone that night.

Kung hindi ako nagpumilit na magdrive that night, maybe we wouldn't involved in a car accident. Siguro hanggang ngayon nandito pa din si Maine sa tabi ko, sa tabi namin ni Julia.

Pagkatapos ng ilang araw, while I was unconscious they found out that the truck driver was drunk and there's something wrong with the engine of the truck. My family and Maine's family filed a case against the driver and also to their company. I didn't really know what happened next as I locked myself inside my room after I got out of the hospital.

I didn't say goodbye to Maine.

I can't.

Kapag nagpaalam ako sakanya it means tinatanggap ko nang wala na talaga sya and I can't bring myself to do that. Until now, iniisip ko na she's just on a vacation, since she loves to travel.

It's hard to accept the reality.

It's hard to accept that I lost her because of my carelessness.

Kinuha ko yung picture na nilagay ko kanina sa bulsa ko, when I lay my eyes on it, tumulo nalang bigla ang mga luha na kanina ko pa sinusubukan pigilan sa pagtulo.

It is the last picture of us.

The last picture of us three, complete.

Kitang-kita mo dito yung mga malalaking ngiti ni Julia at Maine. Nakaakbay sila sakin habang pinipilit na kuhaan ako ng picture.

(5 years ago.)

"Come on J, let us take a picture." Pagpupumilit na sabi sakin ni Maine habang hinihila ako. Mabilis naman akong tinulak ni Julia, magaling talaga tong dalawa na to kapag nagkakampihan sila.

"I said I don't want to." iritang sabi ko sa dalawa pero tinawanan lang ako ng mga yon tsaka pilit na itinulak ako.

"One two, say cheese!!"

(Present time.)

If I knew that would be the last time Maine will be with us taking picture, then I would surely take a million pictures of us.

Kung alam ko lang sana, I should've told her everything I want to say to her. Dapat sinabi ko na sakanya na I'm thankful because she is my friend, that every minute that she and Julia were by my side I appreciated it. I should've told her how much she meant to me and how precious she is.

You will really only realize everything that you took for granted when they're gone.

When they're no longer by your side.

Just like what happened to Maine and I.

And I regret it.

I wiped my tears when I heard my phone rung. I wonder who's calling me, it's already late. I answered the call without looking at the caller id.

"Hey." It's Jane.

Jane called me.

My tears almost fell down again when I heard her voice. "Jane." I softly said.

"What's wrong with your voice?" She ask but I just cover my mouth while letting my tears fell down.

It was silent.

As if she understands what's going on. "Hey, it's alright."

Jane, why are you doing this? Why are you being nice to me? I don't deserve this.