Chapter 19

Silas

I have never seen someone so nervous to see their family before.

Alette is practically sweating as she sits in the passenger seat of my car bouncing her leg up and down and fiddling with her rings, a common sign of hers that she's feeling anxious. She's been glaring at my phone directing us to her mums house for the last 10 minutes as if she's annoyed at the fact it's taking us there.

I know she said that she isn't close to her family, and from what I've gathered I'm not going to be the biggest fan of her mum, but I didn't think it was going to be this bad. I'm almost contemplating turning the car around to save her from feeling like this.

"Are you okay darling?" I finally ask her and glance at her quickly before setting my eyes on the road but I'm met with silence.

"Darling?" I repeat as I look over at her again to see she's zoned out staring at my phone.

"Alette" I rest my hand on her thigh gently and she snaps her gaze to me.

"Huh?" She raises her eyebrows and widens her eyes whilst looking at me.

She looks so adorable.

"Are you okay? You were zoned out a bit there" I rub my thumb back and forth on her thigh to try and comfort her.

She releases a deep breath and slumps back into the chair before she speaks.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit nervous" she mumbles and begins to play with the rings on my fingers instead.

"What are you nervous about?"

"Nothing major, I'm just hoping lunch goes smoothly"

I decide not to press her on the matter too much as I can see she's uncomfortable, and also because we have conveniently arrived.

We both step out of the car at the same time but I hang back slightly, just watching Alette as she frantically fixes her hair and smooths out her skirt/shorts thing. I don't really know what the hell it is but it's a mixture of both.

We move towards the front door together and I stand closely behind her to let her know I'm here for her.

Alette turns her head to look up at me with a weary look on her face.

"You ready?" She asks me.

"Whenever you are" I reply to her and brush the backs of my fingers down her arm lightly.

Alette turns back around to face the red wooden door and rings the doorbell. I examine her and watch as she sucks a breath in to quickly release it and plaster a big fake smile on her face as footsteps move closer to the door before it opens to reveal a small and very non threatening looking woman in the doorway.

"There you are, you're late" is the first thing the woman, who I assume is Alette's mother, says when she locks eyes with her daughter.

"Who is it?" Someone shouts from inside the house.

"It's only Ally and her boyfri- oh no you most definitely aren't her boyfriend now are you dear. I didn't believe my Ally when she said you were just her boss but clearly she was telling the truth. So lovely to meet you, I'm Amanda but you can call me Mandy or Amy if you'd like"

Alette's mum quite literally pulls me into the house and past Alette who is still stood outside with a sad little frown on her face.

"Hello to you too mum" I hear her say to herself as she walks in the house and shuts the door.

"Here let me take your coat for you, Silas was it?" Amanda practically rips my coat off of me as she speaks.

"Yes, thank you. You have a lovely home Amanda"