Chapter 1 : The Attack

Between 1:00 am to 4:00 am is what tactical teams call the Pre-Dawn Hours, when humans are at their most vulnerable states, too late into the night for partygoers, but too early for morning risers.

On the quietest hour of 4, a dark van pulled across the street from the Pittsburgh Police Headquarter. Its side door slide open to a narrow gap, just enough for a tube to poke through.

The person inside aimed the scope at the entrance of the station, behind the glass door one could see a single officer sitting at the front desk, dosing of his last few hours with his face down his personal phone, waiting for his shift to be over.

The person confirmed his target over the radio, he was answered by two clicks, a clearance to his task. He then checked his scope once more, and squeezed the trigger on the launcher.

From the dark corner of the street, another person was sitting in his car, watching the operation in progress. The rocket left the dark van with a trail of smoke, flew across the empty street and punched through the glass door. It struck directly on a pillar in the middle of the police lobby.

The explosion ripped the foundation with a fireball, causing half the second floor to collapse, burying everyone underneath, and sent a wave of fiery debris out on the street. The powerful shockwave shattered every window around the block, setting off burglar alarms from nearby buildings and parked vehicles.

The dark van shut the door, slipping quietly into the night, so did the car at the corner, like they never exist, leaving a street full of police and pedestrians panicking over the aftermath.