Chapter 4 : Old Ghost

Kendall was speeding home on the overpass, the city has issued curfew, and her school shut down immediately, sending everyone home, but she promised her mother to pick up toilet rolls, and every store got cleaned out like the night before a thunder storm.

At least the road was clear, most people has already gone home. She was startled by a siren, just one ring, a police car was pulling to her right.

"You shouldn't be out here." the officer spoke on his speaker.

"I'm so sorry! I'm running late! I'm heading home right now!" Kendall rolled down the window and yelled.

"Where do you live?"

"Oakmont!"

"Do you need escort?"

"No but thank you!"

"Go home immediately. It's not safe out..."

A loud explosion knocked the police vehicle off its wheels, from Kendall's position she saw the vehicle scraping its nose further down the road, while its fiery tail was high up the air.

"OH MY GOD!!"

Acting on instinct she spun the steering wheel, narrowly escaping the burning vehicle now rolling pass her rear view mirror, crashing heavily into the guardrail.

Kendall pulled her car to a stop, quickly ran to the police vehicle, which now turned upside down and on fire.

"Oh My God! Are you all right?" she bent down and found the officer hanging upside down, trapped by his seatbelt. "How may I help? Please! Tell me what to do!"

The officer was disoriented, barely responding to her. Kendall wished she knew first aid, or anything that could save a life.

Then came a series of popping drove her to duck, over experience she was able to distinguish the sound of bullet impact. She quickly placed herself behind the front wheels of the police vehicle, where the engine could block a bullet.

She peeked out from the bumper, not far away were two men coming out of a van, under the cloudy sky light she made out the assault rifles in their hands.

The man on the right fired again, sending rapid bursts into the hull of the police vehicle, Kendall saw the officer grunted and jerked, followed by a line of blood running down his hand. She was about to wet herself.

"You! Get up!" she heard them yelled, speaking with a foreign accent.

"Please! Don't shoot! I'm unarmed." Kendall stood with her hands in the air, still shaking that she just saw a man killed before her eyes.

The two men split up to either side, a tactical move to divide ones attention, their scopes and barrels fixed on the young girl, with one guarding Kendall and the other went to search inside her car.

"Please take anything!" Kendall began to cry. "Just don't kill me! I have an audition Wednesday!"

The man returned from her car and shook to his partner, the two exchanged conversation in a language Kendall couldn't understand.

"Go!" the man holding her waved his rifle. "Get out of here!"

"Oh! Thank you so much!" Kendall sighed in deep relief, dropping her hands and turned to make a run.

"No." then she heard a new voice. "This one we keep."

Her legs froze hearing the cocking sound from the rifles. She slowly turned and looked back, behind the burning police vehicle she saw a limping figure, with every step came a clinking sound, like loose metal crunching against each other.

Slowly she made out a face, he was tall and old and full of white hair, his face looked awfully familiar.

"Remember me, little girl?" the old man smiled.

"Oh no..." Kendall dreaded at the haunting face.