Chapter 26 : Showdown

Seeing the last truck on the road, Kay ordered the plant technicians to move away from their stations. Her men raised their assault rifle and fired across the control panels, destroying all displays and dials, leaving a wall of fire and sparks. The purpose was not to destroy the station, the technicians will in time gain control of the plant through a secondary system, but it will throw the attackers off guard, opening a path for her team to escape.

She led her two guards out of the control room and down a catwalk, a dark shadow flew pass them, so fast her two men were struck down before they came aware. The shadow kicked a rifle over the catwalk, hopped on a railing in a crouching position.

"You're not going anywhere!" said Chloe opening her wings, in her left hand was the other assault rifle.

With one swift motion, Chloe disassembled the rifle, just like Kay did back in the woods, claiming her pride for her teacher.

Kay simply chuckled, drew out her sidearm and fired at Chloe, but Chloe anticipated, leaping high and flapped her wings, somersault in the air and slammed down a heel, knocking the gun off Kay's hand.

Knowing the speed of her opponent, Chloe launched out a series of attacks, leaving no room for counter strike. Kay however, blocking every strike, grinning like it was a game.

Like a boxer, Kay duck and wrapped her head between her elbows, firming her stance and rammed like a rhino, sending her head and fists right into Chloe's solar plexus, so hard she cried out loud.

Catching her footing, Chloe showed a stabbing pain on her face, the powerful blow cracked her lower ribs, opening an old wound she took in a tornado years ago.

"Broke something?" Kay cocked her head. "Let's break some more!"

Holding her hand to her injury, Chloe retreated down the catwalk, but Kay was coming fast, one more strike will cripple her for good. At the moment of panic Chloe launched out her wings, chopping down like two giant axes, knocking Kay to the ground.

Taking the opportunity, Chloe advanced with her wings, attacking her opponent like she grew a new pair of arms. The wings expand seven foot long, made of aluminum alloy, same material they make commercial airplanes, strong and light, and on high impact it could break a bone.

Seeing no way to close in on her target, Kay jumped over a railing and disappeared a level below. Chloe took a second to catch her breath, her broken ribs were now piercing into her lung, with every breath she felt a stabbing pain in her chest.

What if I see her again?

You run. Don't fight her, just run!

Her teacher's words ringing in her head. Kay was his first apprentice, the youngest and smartest, proud and ambitious, with a long career of field experience. There was no way she could beat her.

I can be ambitious too!

Refusing to lose, Chloe jumped over the railing, grunted at the pain as she landed, picked up her feet and went after Kay.