Chapter 14 : Search

In the modern world, one can easily track another's location simply by using their phones, but modern technology also has flaws, everything connects to a central network, and when that fails, so is everything else.

Morris drove the path from Penn Hills to the grocery store to her house, the way Jill described. He spotted an overturned police vehicle, the officer was shot dead, and not far away he saw Kendall's car.

"No!" he dreaded, got out and rushed to inspect.

Finding no evidence of struggling, Morris went on checking both side of the overpass where a body could be disposed, hoping he would be wrong.

No bodies. He sighed with relief and lighted a cigarette, Kendall was taken out of her vehicle, not sure where, but at least she is alive.

He studied the positions of the two cars, then the tire tracks, the bullet holes and shells. He picked one up and sniffed under his nose.

Ceska, Czech brand.

He stood up and looked down both ends of the overpass, deciding which way he should resume his search, then he saw a set of headlights coming from a distance.

He put himself behind the police wreckage, using it as a shield, placing his hand to his Glock, ready to draw.

The vehicle stop twenty feet away, its door swung open and stepped out a figure, by the way it sways Morris knew it was a woman.

"They're not here." she said, as if knowing who he was looking for.

"Who are not here?" Morris asked, his hand still at his holster.

"I can take you to them."

"Who are you?"

The woman walked into the headlights, revealing her long dark hair and pale face. She dressed in a skin-tight outfit of motorcycle leather, nothing but black.

"Let's just say we all want to clean this mess, before it escalates to a global war."