Chapter 15 : Meet

The two ambulances turned off the intersection and drove up a road that took them into the woods. By now the sun was coming up, based on its position Kendall knew they were travelling west. She felt the ambulance rocking, meaning they went off road and into rough terrain, and then they stopped.

They took her out of the ambulance to the edge of an open field, she watched Komarov grouped with half a dozen men, speaking in their own tongues.

Out in the grass field she saw an UAV taking off, a giant black triangle like some paper folded airplanes. Its propeller generating a low hum, running down a short path and took off like it has no weight. She spotted another unit under the tree line, covered by some camouflage sheet, two men were working around it, probably refueling.

Komarov listened quietly as his men reporting, then they opened a van and pulled out a girl.

"Chloe??" Kendall's eyes widened.

Chloe had her hands bound behind her back, with two armed men guarding on each side, both standing five steps away, fingers on the trigger, one has a broken nose and the other a cut on the lips, obviously got a taste of what she could do.

"Finally!" Komarov laughed. "You have no idea how much I think of you every day!"

"Such words can get you arrested." Chloe narrowed her eyes.

"Oh how can I forget? These remind me of you every day, to a point I want to kill you on first sight."

Komarov pulled out a knife and tapped the metal braces on his legs.

"But then I thought it will be too easy. That I should scar you for life, leaving you crippled and remember me for the rest of your life, just like me to you." he placed the blade to Chloe's face.

"Then do it."

To everyone's surprise, Chloe pressed her cheek to the blade, her cold eyes fixed upon the man. Kendall was so tense watching the scene she could hardly breathe.

Caught by the unexpected response, Komarov grunted, yanking his knife away, leaving a shallow cut on Chloe's left cheek.

"No!" Kendall cried like she was taking the cut. "You didn't have to do that!"

"Oh I have planned much more for her." Komarov put his knife back in its sheath. "But work first, play later."

"What is your plan?" Chloe asked, undisturbed by the cut. "You are three-hundred miles from the nearest coast. Whatever you came for, you can't get it out of here."

"Oh I'm sure they'll let me out with open doors!" Komarov smirked.

Under his instruction, his men shoved Chloe and Kendall into the same van, Komarov took the other, both drove back into the woods.