Chapter 24 : Collateral Damage

They landed on UPMC Presbyterian's, the closest hospital with a helipad. What used to be a clean and organized environment was now in chaos, every available space was used for patients, suffering from bio-poisoning, traffic accidents and many more occurred during the blackout. The whole place was understaffed, with doctors being dragged by nurses, and nurses being dragged by friends and families of the victims.

"Doctor Arroway!" Chloe shouted at the familiar face.

"Chloe?" the doctor turned. "When did you get in? Are you hurt?"

"No, but my teacher is, her house got hit by a missile!"

Chloe pulled the Doctor to the stretcher surrounding by soldiers, Arroway went through the initial inspection.

"Who did the bandages?" he studied the wounds.

"I did, Sir." Camryn answered.

"You're a medic?"

"Training medic."

"Then you can help. Come on, help me with this."

Everyone helped pushing Ms. Abby to an opening area, temporarily setup for external treatments. To Chloe, it was like Summersville all over again, short of staff and supplies, with more patients rolling in by the minute.

"Chloe. We need to go." JoJo tugged her arm.

"But Ms. Abby..."

"She's at better hands now. Camryn will stay with her. We have more urgent things to do."

Chloe stopped, turning back to Arroway.

"Doctor. Do you have a working radio?"

"Half the radios were burned during the blackout. Why?"

"I need to reach Detective Kelly."

"Their switchboard is all jammed up now."

JoJo tugged her hard, pulling her behind a corner and whispered.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to reach the police, to send reinforcement to the power plant."

"No!" JoJo alerted. "No one must know this!"

"But Komarov..."

"Shush!" JoJo demanded, looking around to see if anyone heard. "Remember why we're here. We're not stopping some mad man from destroying a city. We're trying to stop a global war!"

Chloe went quiet, she turned to look at each member of her team, everyone was nodding, even Brooke.

"She's right, Chloe." Brooke agreed. "There are bigger things we need to deal with. We have to go!"

Despite how much she wished to argue, she knew they were right. If the news got hold of Komarov, it will escalate to a far greater destruction. She went to take one last look at Ms. Abby, holding her big hand in hers.

"Ms. Abby..." she tried to put on a brave face, but couldn't help crying.

"Chloe... What did I say?" despite her pain, Ms. Abby raised a hand to wipe her tears. "Save your tears for the pillow. Now go do your things. You're always one of my proudest students."

Of all the years Chloe never got a compliment from her teacher, the words made her heart boiled. She leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"Please take good care of her. She's my teacher!"

"You know I will." Camryn gave a promising nodded.

Without further delay, the team quickly retreated to the roof, climbed into the Blackhawk and took off.