Chapter 17 : The Plant

Morris watched men aligning long 18-wheeler trucks through his binoculars - her binoculars. Most of them carrying assault rifles on their backs, some with sidearms. They took control of a power plant thirty miles west of the city, guarding the entrance like a fortress.

"So what's his plan?"

"Komarov stole three truckloads of classified weapons from a storage facility in Siberia. We've been tracking them from Turkey to Egypt to Casablanca and finally here."

"So you don't know their plan?"

"Analysts said he may use it to hold hostage of a city for ransom."

"How old are your analysts? Twelve?"

"He's working with a group of Russian desertors, most possibly prison inmates in Siberia."

"So, thirteen-year-olds!" the old agent lowered the binoculars.

Down the road they saw a van pulling up, past the gate and into the loading bay, important no doubt, considered all men running up to meet the arrival.

"Oh Crap!" both Morris and Sam cursed at what they saw.

* * *

Even though she grew up in Pittsburgh, Chloe has never been to the nuclear power plant. She and Kendall both had their hands bound to the back with zip-ties, taken out of the van and led into the massive structure.

Komarov and his men took them four floors up and through a maze of catwalks, arriving at what looked like the control room. Inside, staffs in white were working at their stations, watched by armed men standing behind them.

"It's back working?" Kendall thought out loud.

"It's running on backup generators now, just enough to keep it from meltdown. These babies hold the power to decide whether your city will live or burn." said Komarov padding a device, the same device Kendall saw disabling the city's power.

If it activates here... Kendall couldn't bear to think of the result.

"And you're planning to keep it this way?" Chloe asked.

"We have more plans for this place, just like I have more plans for you." Komarov paced over to the security monitors. "Long have I learned that to hurt a person, you don't hurt them directly, but the ones they love."

"So this is personal? You're doing all these for revenge?"

"No." Komarov smiled at the monitors. "But she is."

Looking at the same screen Chloe saw another van pulling into the lot, a figure came out and disappeared at the corner of the screen.

Komarov and his men then brought the two girls out on a clearing. Moments later, a young woman showed up from the opposite end, the same Asian woman that attacked Chloe the night before.

"I like you to meet your predecessor. Kay"

"Predecessor?" Chloe blinked.

In daylight she got a better look. Kay has an Asian face, but with a touch of European blood, she wore her black hair to a long ponytail, dressed in a tactical fashion like everyone else.

"I've been looking forward to this." Kay removed her tactical belt, dropping her weapons on the ground, grinning the same way she did.

"Do I know you?"

Chloe took a step back, but the guards caught her arms. Under Kay's order they cut the zip-tie to her wrists.

"Not directly." Komarov answered. "But you do share the same teacher."

Chloe alarmed watching the young woman got into a familiar stance, her back hand ready to punch, front hand opening for a grab.

"I found her in the prison of Siberia." Komarov said. "Morris just left her there to rot!"

"Impossible!" Chloe shook her head. "He will never do that!"

"But he did." said Kay. "He couldn't even bear the dignity to kill me himself, and hoped the cellmates would finish the job!"

Before Chloe could response, the woman charged to her with a strike, Chloe blocked a grab to her throat, but not fast enough for a kick to the gut, the powerful impact sent her three steps back.

Caught by the lightning strike, Chloe focused on defense, blocking a series of incoming blows, but the Asian woman was mixing false attacks, confusing her attention, Chloe took impacts at abdomen, chest and on the face.

"STOP!!" Kendall cried seeing her friend beaten.

Within short seconds of encounter, Chloe knew she was no match for her opponents.

"I'm better with knives." she said, resuming her stance.

"Even better!"

Kay went to pick up a dagger from her belt, tossing one to Chloe's feet, holding the other under her own fist. Chloe picked up the dagger, slowing moving across the floor, locking eyes with her opponent.

Kay, still grinning with her teeth, spinning the dagger in her hand like an expert. Komarov watched in amusement as the two ready to fight to the death.

Chloe made the first move, raising her dagger and swung, but to everyone's surprise, she stabbed the knee of the man standing next to Kendall, bringing him down and pulled out his sidearm.

Grabbing her friend in one hand, Chloe fired rapidly at the people, then smashed a glass panel with the grip of the gun, pushed Kendall out of a window.

They landed heavily on a catwalk, so hard Kendall got her air knocked out her lungs. Chloe cut her friend free, dragging her over the railing, just in time to escape gunfire from Kay and her men.

Holding the gun in both hands, Chloe stormed out the loading bay, fired a shot past the driver in the van.

"Get out!" she aimed the barrel to him and instructed Kendall to take the wheel.

Kendall hurried into the driver's seat and stomped on the accelerator, throwing the vehicle into a spin, protecting Chloe at the center when knocking over people in the area.

"Get in!" she yelled.

Before Chloe could catch up the van, a line of bullets punctured the van's roof. From above, Kay and her men were shooting from the catwalk, trying to drive Kendall away from her rescue, but the catwalk then bursting with sparks, Kay and her men quickly dodged from the shooting.

"Chloe!" out of the woods came Morris and Sam, covering her with their rifles.

Barely had time to think, Kendall spun the steering wheel, drifting the vehicle sideway, scooping Chloe off her feet and into the belly of the van. Morris and Sam dove inside, and Kendall launched the vehicle out of the power plant, ramming through the gate barrier and out of the road.

"Chloe, are you all right? Are you hurt?" Morris running his hands over her to check for injury, just like he did out of every dangerous situation.

"Morris..."

Chloe was speechless, almost forgot the danger as she saw her mentor again, there was a heart full of things she wishes to tell him, but she found herself asking:

"Who's Kay?"

"It's a long story." Morris reloaded his gun.

"Who is she??" she insisted.

"Now is not the time, but I promise I'll tell you when we get to a safe place." Morris checked the rear window, making sure they weren't followed.

"And who is this?" Kendall looked back at the woman in black.

"She's CIA." Chloe answered with an unfriendly tone.

"Oh, okay." sensing the awkwardness, Kendall turned to Morris. "And where are we going that's safe?"

"Oh I know a place." Morris grunted.