Chapter 5 : Arriving

...Following news on the Pittsburgh attacks, more people rushing into hospitals to seek treatment, all police and firefighters are called in for crowd control.

We received images from people capturing something from the sky, experts identified it as a Russian military drone. While the Russian Ministry of Defense denies such action, the tension between US and Russia has never been so high since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Amer. How long until we land?" Chloe looked up from her phone.

"We just got told the Pittsburgh International Airport shut down all their traffics." the Captain turned from the cockpit. "We're being diverted to Hopkins."

"Cleveland? That's two hours away!"

"Sorry Ma'am. We can't get clearance for Pittsburgh."

"What about other air fields near Pittsburgh? I remember seeing ads for flying schools."

"We're an international flight. We're not authorized to land anywhere without customs."

Chloe wanted to argue, but she was familiar with emergency protocols. When a city is shut down, only authorities may go in and out. She dialed Detective Kelly and Doctor Arroway for help, but neither call got through. She tried Paige and Kendall, but their lines were engaged, the network must be overload at crisis like this.

She tried on social media platforms, which was using the Wi-Fi from the jet. She got a connection and sent out a dozen messages, but got no reply.

"What's going on?" she wondered.

She turned on the news again, this time from NBC, they were showing an aerial footage of people working on top of a building.

...We are looking at some kind of transmitting dish on top of the US Steel Tower, experts believe this device is the course of failure of our cell phone networks. The dish is similar to a jamming device used on Russian military vehicles in Kuwait...

Suddenly the video broke connection, the aerial image immediately switched back to the newsroom.

...We just received report that our news helicopter was shot down. Again, our network's helicopter got shot down. Our ground crew reported that it was hit by a missile, possibly launched by the Russian drone spotted earlier...

Shut up! Shut up! You're stirring up a war! Chloe cursed at the anchorman.

The relationship between the two countries was never friendly, and the last thing she wishes to see was her friendship tore over political issues.

I need to get down there fast!