Chapter 7 : Blackout

"Wow! What just happened??" Paige watched her screen went blank.

"I think it's a power outage." Kelly came in and checked the lights.

"Mom. I'm using my laptop, it has its own batteries."

"I don't know, Honey. My phone is out too! I think the world is going crazy!"

Right after she said that came a sound from the window, they looked out and saw a car crashed into their neighbor's front yard. Looking further, more cars were running off the road, or into each other.

"Jesus! What's going on?" Kelly stunned.

"It's an EMP!" Paige said.

"A what?"

"Electro Magnetic Pulse! It kills all electronics instantly!"

"What's that? Some kind of malfunction at the power station?"

"No Mom! It's an attack! Someone just set off an EMP! We need to take cover!"

Paige quickly pulled her mother down stairs, locking all windows and doors, jamming a chair under each doorknob.

"What on earth are you doing?"

"Sealing up the place, Mom! With the police busy with that bio explosion, this place is going to turn into The Purge in less than an hour!"

"Honey, you watched too much TV."

"Better be prepared than sorry. Now help me get the things from the basement!"

Kelly followed her daughter to the basement, watched Paige pushed away a shelf and unscrewed a panel, inside was stocked with guns and ammo.

"Put this on!" Paige shoved a bullet-proof vest to her mother.

"Oh My God! Where did all these come from?"

"Brooke left them before she moved out. Now they are mine!"

"Are you telling me we've been living on top of a stock full of illegal guns all these time??"