Chapter 21 : First Apprentice

Morris felt a tug at his sleeve, looking back he saw Chloe biting her lip, like that shy little girl on the first day they met. She pulled him out of the living room, gathered her words and asked:

"Who is Kay? Was she your apprentice?"

"Yes." Morris answered sadly. "She was my first."

"How did she end up in prison?"

"She went rogue."

"How?" Chloe questioned. "Was she betrayed? Influenced?"

Morris took Chloe out the backyard, the smell of the garden brought her sweet memories, Chloe spent most her childhood here playing with Paige and Brooke, but right now she needs to know something.

Morris took one last look into the house, making sure Kelly Hyland was occupied at the living room, then took out his cigarettes, lighted and began.

Katherine was a young agent that went under his wing. She was the youngest and smartest, so good the agency skipped process and put her on the field. Morris however, was against it. Katherine was an ambitious girl, hungry to reach the top, more than once he witnessed her sabotaging her own team to achieve her goals, her royalty may put to the test.

She was claimed KIA during a task in Prague, but only to fake her death and went rogue, working freelance for whoever offers the best to her interests. Those who knew her gave her a name: Kroosheet - to destroy, to crush, signifying her lust to be on top, disregarding the collateral damage, others called her K for short.

Chloe's heart shivered, she couldn't help thinking the time she was the White Jackal. Would Morris have killed her too? Or lock her up to die?

"What if I see her again?" Chloe bit her lip.

"You run. Don't fight her, just run."

"Can't she be saved?"

"I tried." Morris blew out a smoke. "There's no Katherine in her anymore. She kills anyone in her way, even me."

Chloe watched her mentor smoking in silence. She couldn't bear the thought of turning against her own teacher, let alone killing. She saw the regret in his eyes, the same regret she saw on Ms. Abby's face every time she failed.

A teacher will never disappoint at a students. She felt those eyes. They only blame themselves for not being a better teacher.

"Morris?" she asked again. "Can you teach me how to disassemble an assault rifle with one hand?"
"I can, but why would you need to do that?"

He's question was interrupted by an open door. Kelly Hyland was about to speak when her eyes spotted the burning cigarette. Morris, Talon of the Cold, the most fearsome agent in the Cold War, survived the harshest battlefields, was displaying a gruesome fear in his eyes.

"You DID NOT just smoke in MY HOUSE!" she said with the most horrific face Chloe ever saw.

"It's not mine..." Morris darting his eyes from Kelly to his cigarette to Chloe. "It's hers! She picked up the habit in Iraq!"