Chapter 6 : Hostile Takeover

Kendall was looking out the skyline of Pittsburgh. In normal circumstances she would be busy taking selfies on the top floor of the US Steel tower, but right now she was held captive by a group of armed men.

The sound of metal clinking drew her attention away from the window, the old man stood in front of her, his eyes admiring the view.

"You should be honored getting a front roll seat. Today marks a history for your home town."

The crippled man pulled out an office chair and sat, grunting as he placing his legs to a comfortable position.

"Remember this?" he pulled up a pant leg, revealing the metal braces securing his knee and ankle. "I have your friend to thank for."

Now she remembers the face, the man who took hostage at the Moscow Youth Theater many years ago, who crashed in his helicopter during his escape attempt.

"What do you want?"

"Why do soldiers fight?" Nicholai Komarov asked. "Because it is human nature."

Kendall looked around the floor, she counted a dozen men, all Russian speaking, armed with AK-47. They were setting a machine near the window, it looked like a portable power generator.

"What's that?"

"End of civilization."

"Are you planning to kill everyone?"

"No." Komarov chuckled. "But get ready for the greatest heist in Pittsburgh!"

A man handed Komarov what looked like a flash light, he took out a key from his breast pocket, inserted it on the machine and turned, a light changed from green to red, the color told Kendall it was anything but good.

Komarov then stood, flipped open the switch guard on the remote trigger, ordering everyone to shut down all electronic devices.

"Are we leaving? Where are we going?"

"Why would we leave? We have the best view in the house!" Komarov placed a finger on the trigger.

"Wait!" Kendall halted. "Isn't this the part when you tell me your secret plan?"

"And the way to stop it?" Komarov laughed. "Unlike your American movies, we get straight to the point!"

Komarov squeezed the trigger, the machine let out a quiet boom, almost inaudible, and nothing happened. At first Kendall thought it was a malfunction, then she saw the city falling into darkness, block after block, until the last electrical light gone dark in the horizon, leaving only the dim clouds of the afternoon sky.