Chapter 16 : Drop Point

According to their tracker, the Antonov dropped the cargo twenty miles north of Pittsburgh, it past first light by time they located it.

"Great! Just Great!" Brooke cursed looking at the landing spot.

They broke out from the bushes and walked up to the cargo, which landed directly over a honey farm. The cargo was intact of course, its hard shell made to withstand impact during air-drop operations. The beehives however, were not. Clouds of angry bees now swarming over the crash-proof casing, obviously upset their homes just got crushed.

"How are we gonna do this?" the girls looking at each other, all feeling skin crawl staring at the mountain of bees.

"What? You're all afraid of bees?" Masha looked at their faces.

"I'm allergic to bee sting." Brooke scratched her arms seeing the bees.

"I hate bugs!" Tilly whined.

"And you call yourselves soldiers!"

Masha rolled up her sleeves and walked into the mist of bees like they were nothing, began detaching the parachute lines from the case.

Not wanting to look like a loser, Tilly put on her helmet and walked down to help Masha, the two removed all lines and buckles, attempt to move it out of the beehive wreckage.

Detecting intruders, the bees began swarming around the two. Tilly was protected by her helmet and bionic arms, but Masha simply scooped up the bees with her bare hands.

"How is it that she doesn't get sting?" Brooke thought out loud.

"Determine by your perspiration, bees can tell if you are anxious or fear. They'll only sting you if they feel threatened." Camryn explained.

"In science terms we call it not-taking-a-bath!" Tilly said. "Why are they all over me??"

"Because you smell better?" Masha mocked.

The case landed with great impact, slammed deep into earth and jammed by wooden racks from the beehives, after several attempts, the two gave up.

"It's jammed! We need to break it out!" Masha yelled at the girls, who stood far away and shaking their heads. "And thanks for helping out!"

Masha and Tilly unlocked the case and began removing the contents, taking multiple trips to deliver them to a safe distance. Tilly ended up covering by a thick layer of bees from head to toe, so thick the person inside was barely visible.

"Get them off me! I can't even see!" Tilly struggled, completely swallowed by the bees.

"You're looking like a stuff bear right now!" JoJo laughed receiving the last case.

"Then why don't you come give me a huge!" Tilly tried wiping off the bees with her arms, but only made it worse.

"You must have upset the queen, or got one stuck on you." Masha said.

The Kazakh reached her bare hand into the thick layer of bees, scooped up a handful and dumped it to a distance. The cake of bees broke away and flew back to the hives.

"How did you know so much about bees?" Tilly waved away the last bee.

"We had a farm back in the camp, we made our own honey."

"Too bad! They were just getting to like you!" JoJo mocked Tilly.

"Then why don't you go say hello to them?"

Collecting all the packs, each team member broke out their own gear. JoJo, Brooke and Masha put on their side arms, Tilly linked up extra power cells to her arms, and Camryn wore her medical pack to her back.

They stood over a hill, looking over the skyscrapers in far distance, the picture looked dull and grey under the cloudy sky.

"So this is what America looks like?" Masha asked. "Looked a lot more impressive in photos."

"Hey! This is my home you're talking about!" Brooke protested.

"Yeah!" JoJo smiled. "Finally I get to visit your home!"

They found a parking lot with a few abandoned cars, possibly burned out by the EMP. Tilly broke the side window with her bionic arm, JoJo slipped in and popped the hood.

"Still remember how to hot-wire a car?" Brooke asked.

"Never get bore with it!" JoJo laughed.

They began working on the wires, by passing the burned circuit board and kicked the engine to life.

"Now show me your home!" JoJo cocked her head smartly.

"Just don't be disappointed!" Brooke slipped behind the steering wheel and grunted, thinking how her house must look compare to JoJo's billion-dollar estate.