Chapter 4

I woke up in undescribable pain. My arms were sore, my thigh that was hit by the doorknob was throbbing, and my face felt like it was stabbed by a million tiny needles. But even that is an understatement.

I got out of bed to look in the mirror. I looked terrible. The bruise underneath my eye was darker than night without a moon, and my eyes were puffier than cotton balls and slightly red.

I decided to call in sick because I didn't to explain what happened to my face, or why I can hardly lift my arms. Plus, I was limping around.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of frozen corn out of the freezer. I wrapped a dish towel around it. Then slowly put it to my eye.

I sat down on the couch and called John to tell him that I wasn't going to be in today. I don't call in sick that often. Mainly because I don't like to stay home. But I had no choice today.

---

I ran the bath water. I thought maybe a cooling bath might make me feel better. I carefully took my tank-top off, trying to avoid my arms and face. Then removed my bottoms.

The water felt amazing on my body. My bruises were cooled off. I dunked my head in the water. I thought my swollen eyes could use some cooling too.

It felt incredible.

I haven't felt this much comfort in a long time. I stayed under water till I ran out of air. I never knew a bath would ever make me feel this good. I smiled at the feeling. I even let out a small laugh.

I stayed in the water till it got to cold.

I felt so much stronger. My legs were no longer stiff. I could lift my arms, and my face stopped throbbing.

I stepped in front of the mirror. I thought that if I felt better, I would look better.

That wasn't the case.

The spot underneath my eye was still dark as night. And my arms were a shade of dark purple. The only difference I saw was that my eyes weren't as puffy as they were before.

I put some clothes on and walked into the kitchen. This time to eat some cereal. I set the cereal box, bowl, spoon, and milk on the dining table.

I didn't notice the figure standing by my couch.

I screamed.

"Dammit Isaac! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"What are you doing here?"

"John told me that I had to wait on tables because a certain somebody wasn't going to be th..."

He staring at my eye, then looked at my arms.

"Tara. What happened to you?"

Anger struck over me. This is what I wanted to avoid at work.

"Nothing."

I pushed him out of the way and went to my bedroom.

He followed.

"Tara!"

I pushed into the door and sat on my bed with my legs criss crossed. He stopped. Examining the door with a missing doorknob.

He looked up at me. Trying to go through the possibilities of my injuries in his head.

"Tara. Tell me what happened!" He demanded as he walked into my room.

"Isaac just leave it alone!"

He clenched his fists.

"Did Jackson do this to you?"

I stayed quiet and didn't look at him.

"Oh my gosh. Did you call the police!?"

"No! Jackson didn't do anything!"

I looked at the door.

"I just tripped in the hallway and hit my eye on the doorknob."

He looked at me disbelieveingly

"Tara. I'm not an idiot. I know that you could not have done that much damage to a doorknob just by falling onto it."

Why couldn't he just leave this alone? I obviously don't want to talk about it.

"Isaac if I wanted to talk about it, I wouldn't be calling in sick."

He looked down at the floor in defeat. I don't think he had much else to say.

"Tara you are my bestfriend. It hurts me to see you bruised up. And not only that, you refuse to talk about it. I just want to know that you are safe."

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Now go back to work. John is probably waiting for you."

He looked at me sympathetically. I looked down at the duvet.

"Tara just promise me that you will be okay and I won't ever have to see bruises like this on you again?"

That's a lot to ask for when you have a boyfriend like Jackson.

"If you can promise me that then I'll leave and won't bring it up again."

"Alright."

I walked him out.

"Stay safe." He said as he walked out the door.

I gave him a small smile then shut the door.

I let out breath of relief. I went back to the table and poured my cereal. I sat down on the couch and watched TV as I ate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AUTHORS NOTES:

I really want to know what you think of it so far.

Good/Bad/Boring?

Comment.

Vote.

I need to know!

Oh and Liam will make his appearance soon!