Epilogue

6 years later:

My eyes slowly opened to the sight of a figure staring at me. I gasped but then realised that there was no threat right now.

"Mummy, can't I lay with you?"

"Of course you can baby. What happened?" I whispered.

"I had a bad dream and now I'm scared."

"C'mon." I said pulling my son up on the bed. It shook a lot due to the shifting.

"Wh-what are you doing?" Liam complained still half asleep.

"Lucas had a bad dream. He's going to sleep in here for the rest of the night." I explained.

Liam turned around and looked at tiny Lucas. "What scared you?" He asked.

"There were monsters trying to hurt me daddy." Lucas tried to whisper which he was never good at so it was at normal volume. "They were going to get me!" He explained.

Liam chuckled. "If there's one thing your mummy and I know, it's that we are never going to let monsters hurt you."

"That's right. We've had to deal with our fair share of monsters but yet, we're still here." I smiled.

"Go to sleep son, tomorrow's a special day for you and you want to be up bright and early." Liam smiled kissing his forehead.

"I love you." Lucas said yawning.

"We love you too."

---

"Lucasss. Lucasssss." I whispered giving him a gentle shake.

"Mummy let me sleep." He begged.

"Well I thought you would want to see what daddy and I got you for your birthday." I smiled.

He tried to seem uninterested but just like me, he was terrible at hiding his emotions. He slightly lifted his head and noticed the big box setting beside the bed. I laughed at how quickly he woke up to open it.

"Oh hold on there buddy we have to wait for dad."

Not long after I said that Liam came in with a confused face. "Tara where is the battery for this camera?" He asked.

"Is it not in the camera bag?" I asked.

He ran back out and came back with the battery. "Well just slap the word twat on my forehead because I didn't think to look in there."

Lucas laughed. "Can I open my present now?" He asked anxiously.

"Yes, open it." I replied.

He tore through the paper like a madman. "WOW! A boxing kit!" He exclaimed.

Liam snapped a photo of his reaction. My face brightened at his excitement. I was unsure of this gift but Liam knew that Lucas would love it and he was right.

"Now you can learn how to fight off all of those scary monsters." Liam smiled. "Hey why don't you go to the table, Mummy made your favourite breakfast."

Lucas kicked the duvet back and jumped on me. His kissed my cheek. "Thank you mummy!"

"Your welcome love."

He ran to Liam and gave him a hug as well. "Why don't I teach you a few moves later huh?" Liam suggested.

Lucas nodded and ran to the kitchen. I walked to the door when Liam grabbed my wrist and spun me back. I stood against him. "Didn't I tell you he would love it?" He smirked.

"Yes, you did." I smiled. "You're an excellent father."

"And you're not to bad yourself... Of a mother, that is."