𝟎𝟎𝟑 Emerald Palace

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Ⅲ 𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒍𝒅 𝒑𝒂𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆

ELVIRA STOOD BY JESPER AND INEJ AT THE BAR. Joe placed a pair of shots in front of the two as well as handing Elvira a match. Elvira downed the shot and lit her cigarette. "So... A saint," Jesper started in a low voice.

"I don't believe in saints, Jes," Elvira reminded, holding the cigarette in her fingers. "But if you'd like to call it that, I won't stop you."

Jesper downed the shot and ordered another round. Inej tapped her fingers against the table before speaking up. "He doesn't have a way across the Fold, and we all know it."

"I bet he'll figure it out," Jesper assured, pushing himself straighter. "Come on, take that bet. Bolliger won't play with me anymore, so..."

"Thank you," Elvira mumbled as the shots were set on the bar top. Inej snatched Jesper's shot and downed it at once. Jesper watched her with an offended face as Inej's tongue burned at the taste of the vodka.

"He's obsessed with taking down Pekka Rollins," Inej deduced and Elvira downed her shot.

"Of course he has to be obsessed with the one guy in town who's paid off the stadwatch so he can murder whoever he likes," Elvira spat, taking another puff of her cigarette. "Another one Joe, and a whisky."

"No, it's more than that," Inej continued. "I've seen the way Kaz looks when he says Pekka's name. Kaz wants revenge." A man walked to Inej's side, handing her a piece of folded parchment. Inej took the paper and turned her back to the bar.

"Of course, she calls for me now," Inej complained, turning back to face Jesper and Elvira.

"Off to the Menagerie?" Jesper guessed.

"Want company?" Ira asked as Inej turned and walked away.

Inej paused and turned to face Ira. "You'd risk seeing the Peacock?" Inej questioned.

"Rather me than you," Ira shrugged. Inej shook her head and continued on. The Wraith wasn't one for company, nor unnecessary chatter.

Kaz stanched to Elvira, pressing his hands against the bar top. "You all right, Brekker?" Elvira questioned, noticing the large red bruise forming on the side of his face. Jesper walked back to the bar as well, leaning against the countertop.

"No," Kaz said simply. Elvira quickly chilled the shot and Kaz downed it in one. "I've been warned off the job."

"By who?" Jesper questioned.

"Who do you think?" Kaz snapped, turning around, his back facing the bar.

"Did he remember you?" Elvira questioned, bringing the whisky to her lips.