𝟎𝟏𝟏 Monsters and Men

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Ⅺ 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒆𝒏

THE SKIFF PUSHED FORWARDS THROUGH THE DARK. Shadows consumed the ship, the thunder grew louder and the people on the boat stilled. The Heartrender stood in the center of the skiff, his hands crossed over one another as he watched the darkness. "Can you feel them?" The general asked.

"No heartbeats yet, sir," The Heartrender confirmed.

Jesper took that as his queue and he turned to the hatch. He lifted it and slipped below deck. Kaz followed after, tossing his cane down. Elvira jumped down and Inej followed a second after. Volcra screeches around through the air and Inej slammed the grate closed.

Kaz sat on a crate as the others tossed their coats aside. Jesper immediately pulled out his guns, fiddling with the parts as he started to wipe them clean. Elvira tossed the hat and wig away, cursing under her breath.

As another round of growls resonated Jesper let out an annoyed grunt, his hands fumbling slightly. "This is a bad idea," Jesper complained, blowing a puff of air into the gun barrel.

"I think it's rather practical," Kaz said, his eyes watching the roof.

"What? Why?" Jesper scoffed.

"I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns.

So, cleaning them is a good idea," Kaz reasoned.

"I don't mean this. I mean this," Jesper gestured around with his hands, his movements becoming erratic. "We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets. I should have brought Milo."

"Who's Milo?" Inej asked, her hands ghosting across her knives.

"The goat," Jepser huffed, throwing his hands down.

"How many bullets do you have?" Elvira asked as she tossed her coat away.

The growling continued and Jesper flicked his gun. "Not enough."

"That's comforting," Elvira huffed, rolling up her sleeves.

Inej's eyes wandered to her and grabbed her right forearm. "Did you break your wrist?"

"No." Elvira took her arm back and tapped her fingers against the curved bone sticking out from the centre of her wrist. "A Grisha's gotta have an amplifier if they're fighting volcra."

A BRIGHT BLUE RAY OF LIGHT SHOT THROUGH THE FOLD AND THE RAYS SEEPED BEANETH THE WOOD, ILLUMINATING THE CROWS. "So?" Jesper started, his hands gripping the pearl handles of his gun. "What's our play?"