𝟎𝟏𝟏 Ridding The World Of Shadows

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Ⅺ 𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒔

TOYLA AND TAMAR WALKED AHEAD OF THE OTHERS, LEADING THEM TO THE HIGH WALLS OF THE CAMPS STONE WALLS. Nikolai's already weak steps faltered as he looked up at the shadow Fold. "The Fold

should have fallen by now," Nikolai murmured.

"Did she find the Firebird?" Toyla questioned turning back to him.

"Long story. It's Ma," Tamar said with a huff.

"I'm sorry. Did you say Mal is a bird?" Jesper asked, his eyebrows raising in surprise.

"The Firebird isn't real?" Tenzin questioned and Tamar shook her head. "You need a new signal then."

They walked down a small hill, passing under an arch and facing the thunderous fold. "Still no sign of Kirigan," Nikolai muttered. They stopped watching the cracks of lighting appear through the thick shadows. "We go in, we find Alina and Mal."

Kaz stepped up to Nikolai, tossing his cane further into his hand. "Here."

Nikolai glanced at the crow's head before back at Kaz. "Don't you need it?"

Kaz shrugged softly, "I've got more experience with pain." Kaz walked around him and Nikolai immediately leaned his weight onto the crow cane.

Toyla and Tamar were the first to step into the shadows. Tenzin felt the hair on the back of his neck stand as he stepped forward into the darkness. Shredded bodies were scattered across the field of the courtyard and the low grumbles of Volcara echoed through the shadows. "Follow me," Toyla ordered in a quiet voice. He sped off to the left, into the walls of the military base, everyone following him closely. They walked down a long tunnel, the light glow of candles lighting the stone walls. A harsh shriek of a Volcra broke through the silence, then a pair of beasts tumbled through the tunnel. The beast spotted them and raced down the hall.

"In there!" Tolya yelled, pushing Nikolai into a small prayer room. Jesper pulled Wylan in and the others scrambled in, Tamar and Nadia slammed themselves against the door to hold it shut.

Tenzin and Wylan stood together but Wylan quickly hit Jesper's arm. "Metal hinges. Jesper." Jesper ran forward, pushing between the two girls at the door and wielding the hinges against the door and wall.

Jesper stepped back and slowly the girls dropped their hands. "That should hold the Volcra," Tamar said hopefully.

Jesper shrugged softly, "We'll see."

A low hissing made everyone spin and Wylan stumbled behind Tenzin as the shadows weaved out from the darkness, forming into the Shadow Monsters. "Everybody, back," Tamar ordered pushing Nadia and Nikolai behind her.