𝟎𝟎𝟓 Terrors In The Unsea

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

Ⅴ 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒓𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒔𝒆𝒂

"WE'RE ALMOST THERE," ARKEN ASSURED. He held a torch high, illuminating the ground in a golden glow.

"Brekker, where's Jesper?" Elvira mumbled, glancing over her shoulder. Kaz shook his head, rolling his eyes and Inej shrugged in response.

"Just a little further," Arken spoke again, continuing to lead the three.

They walked until they reached an old rusted sign. Elvira tilted her head slightly, her eyes scanning over the Ravkan letters as she tried to decipher the word. "Inej?" Elvira questioned, looking back at the Suli girl.

"Landmines," Inej read aloud.

The goat Kaz led bleated as Kaz held the leash tight. "We'll wait," Kaz called, stopping Elvira and Inej from walking on. "Follow the path that you carve."

Arken furrowed his eyes brows, leaning back to look at the sign properly. "Oh, that sign, that was my idea to keep people away. Can't be too careful," Arken explained. "We're fine. Come." Arken nodded and walked ahead again.

Elvira took a soft breath and followed Arken, Inej and Kaz a moment after. The small group walked closer to the dark fold, pausing at a set of tracks. "It's one thing hearing about it, but this is-"

"Nothing compared to what lies within," Arken cut in, stopping Inej's sentence. Arken passed his torch off to Inej and walked to the edge of the fold, grabbing a handle and pulling it in a circular motion. Growls and thunder echoed from the fold along with the flashes of lightning. A train emerged from the fold, clicking along the tracks. "There."

Arken tapped his pockets and sighed softly, "So, goat, jurda..." Inej handed him the jurda. "Thank you. Watch..." Ira tossed the watch his way. "Now we're just waiting on-"

"Wait for me!" Jesper yelled, his voice echoing in the darkness as he ran across the field. Gunshots rang through the air and about another dozen men chased after him with torches.

"Fahey..." Elvira mumbled, sighing softly.

"They can't see the train," Arken said. He snatched the torch and snuffed it out in the dirt.

"Jesper, get here now!" Kaz snarled.

"Leave the lantern!" Inej called.

"Landmines!" Jesper snapped, motioning to the sign.

"Suck it up!" Elvira yelled.

A shot flew past Jesper's head, hitting the sign. "Oh, wait for me!" Jesper yelled, dropping the lantern. "Don't you go without me! Wait!" Arken and Inej climbed in the train. Kaz and Elvira climbed in next.