𝟎𝟎𝟔 Heists and Dances

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

Ⅵ 𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒔

ELVIRA STOOD TO THE SIDE AS JESPER PET THE GOAT'S HEAD. The barmaid who Jesper had sold him to, watching him with confused eyes. "I leave you a bullet, to remember me," Jesper told the goat, displaying the bullet that he tied around a piece of string. "Let's promise never to forget each other, Milo. But I must go now."

"Jes," Elvira called softly, patting his shoulder.

"Yes, yes," Jesper murmured, waving down the girl. "I leave you in the care of this lovely barmaid, who needs your support here," Jesper continued making Elvira sigh. Jesper stepped back and grabbed his coat.

"Sorry about him," Elvira muttered, watching Jesper stumbled through the crowds as he pulled his coat on. "Have a nice day." Elvira grabbed her black sash and followed Jesper outside to where Inej waited in the carriage.

Kaz pulled himself into the carriage a few moments later. He pulled out a blueprint of a large architectural building. "All right. Royal Archives heist," Kaz announced, leaning his cane on the side of the carriage. "Here's the game plan. Watchmen are on guard around the clock.

We want to get in and get out as quietly as possible. That means the hardware stays in the holster, Jesper."

Kaz shot Jesper a glare and the Zemeni boy sighed. "Ugh, fine," Jesper huffed.

"Inej, the dome on the roof is directly above the repository where the blueprints to the Little Palace are kept," Kaz explained, pointing to the blueprints of the large dome.

"Got it," Inej nodded. "That's my way in."

"I'll set a trail of phosphorus that will lead you straight to the target," Kaz went on. "The repository is secured at all times behind a two-part lock mechanism. So, Inej, you have to leave the way you came in." Inej nodded and traced her fingers over the prints. "Two hours after sunset is when you'll go in, Jesper. You'll need to blend in."

"Easy," Jesper confirmed with a nod.

"The lighting valves are on the second floor," Kaz explained.

"I'll take my cue once I see the lights go out," Inej confirmed. "And then follow your trail straight to the blueprints."

"The archivist pulls them dozens of times a day," Elvira recognized. "So we can't steal them."

"So? Make a copy," Inej confirmed.

"But careful," Kaz warned. "If you're heavy-handed, you'll bleed the ink."

"I know what I'm doing," Inej confirmed.

"Since the fete, they've doubled the guards," Kaz announced. "Ira, no one sees us."

"Such a difficult task," Elvira laughed. Kaz shot her a glare and Ira sighed. "No problem."