𝟎𝟎𝟖 The Price Of Being A Grisha

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Ⅷ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒃𝒆𝒋𝒏𝒈 𝒂 𝒈𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒂

THE LARGE DOORS OHVAL ENTERED SOME TIME AGO OPENED, LETTING HER WALK INTO THE CROWDS OF PEOPLE. "Remember to stay within my sight," Nina ordered as Zoya started to walk away.

"Remember to keep up," Zoya snapped. Nina hissed and followed after her. Tenzin sighed through his nose and turned back into the alley. He walked toe-in-toe with Nina a street over, catching glimpses of Nina through the alleyways and windows. By the next alleyway, he look through at the crowds Nina was gone. "Shit." Tenzin rushed across to the other alley trying his best to dodge people as he walked through to the adjacent alley.

He rushed through the alley looking for any sign of Nina. Tenzin looked up at Ohval standing in the alleyway in front of him. He swallowed the lump in his throat and waved softly. "Evening," Tenzin greeted with a nervous smile.

"Would you like to die tonight boy?" Ohval said with a sickly sweet smile.

"If there is an option... no, not really," Tenzin said, his lips pulled tight. Ohval took a step forward and Tenzin took a quick step back, instinctively his hand slid into his side bag. "You asked and I answered!" Tenzin said in defence. Tenzin's eyes wandered behind Ohval to the empty alley. "Now!"

Ohval spun, her steps faulting as she noticed the empty alley. Tenzin had already tossed three smoke bombs at her feet and by the time she turned back, the smoke had started to fill the alley and Tenzin was running up a side staircase.

Once he got to the top her scrambled, taping together a small shrapnel bomb filled with nails and the spare rough cuts of old projects. Once she heard her steps he let the bomb fall from his hands and topple down the stairs. He ducked behind a pile of stacked crates. A moment later it set itself off the shrapnel launching a few feet each way.

Tenzin glanced up before rushing down the stairs. He paused as he watched Ohval move from her crouched position to stand, the shrapnel swirling around her arms. He cursed to himself and rushed deeper into the alleys. "Nina! Zoya! Nina!"

THE LOCKS CLICKED AND SLID OPEN. Kaz gripped the doors and pulled them open revealing the garden inside. His eyes wandered for a moment before stepping forward, the sound of his cane cutting through the silence. The others stepped through, Jesper and Wylan stopped by the door as Kaz and Ira continued forward toward the next set of doors.

Ira pressed her hands to the door, trying to push it apart. "Here," Kaz said, tossing her the lock-picks. "Remember how to use them?"

Ira shrugged, sliding the slim metal pieces into the keyhole. "Vaguely." Kaz shook his head, just letting his eyes watch her hands. "Leading him on will get you nowhere, relax your wrist."