Chapter 8

August 23, 2022; 2:00am:

"Something is wrong with you."

Jonathan chuckled dryly as he opened his eyes and looked at his grandfather.

The old man wore his usual black attire and stood in his usual hologram. As usual, he was surrounded by stalagmites of ice with towering snow. The snow beneath his feet was soft and already patted firmly down.

"Grandpa."

He made a face. "I prefer–"

"Jor-El, I know, I know." Jonathan muttered. He looked around, his breath clouding his vision. Despite the cold atmosphere, he wasn't cold.

He was in his shorts and an old t-shirt. Neither matched, but they were comfy and people never saw him in his pjs. Well, until now.

It had been easy to fall asleep that night because of the earlier fiasco. He was completely drained from almost dying and then meeting, finally meeting the Wonder Girl.

Jonathan immediately felt a connection. Not a sexual one, no, no, absolutely not. But a close one. Like they were supposed to know each other, work with each other.

There was only one other time Jonathan had felt this sort of connection: Jordan. He trusted Jordan with his life. He was his rock, his lifeline, his other half. He knew that whatever was happening, his first choice to help him would be Jordan; over his mother and father. They had the connection of trust and understanding that could not be replicated.

At least...that was until now.

"Jon-El."

Jonathan blinked and looked at his grandfather. He looked nervous.

"I'm fine, Grandpa. Really."

"No, you're not." As if on cue, several holograms popped up around him. They each had his body systems being carefully monitored. "Notice anything different?"

Jonathan looked around. "Better tech?"

His grandfather rolled his eyes. "Insolent children. Almost makes me grateful that I missed out on Kal-El's more youthful years."

Jonathan studied his circulatory system more closely. "Yeah. Dad was kind of crazy. You know: dating girls, a football star, famed reporter, and saving the day from alien evils. An average life for him."

His grandfather pointed to a new skeletal system. "Your father's skeletal system is ten fold stronger and studier than mortals." He pulled up another one. "Your brother's is similar by 75%. And compared to your father's, if you were fully mortal, you should have at least 10% of a similar system. That is what the system's first read when you first arrived."

He then pulled up a hologram of what Jonathan could assume was his skeleton. "Today, it was similar by 40%."

Several other diagrams popped up and it was a similar observation each time. The Circulatory system became 38% more similar. The Respiratory system increased by 23%. The Endocrine system increased by 21%. The Nervous system by 33%. The Muscular system increased by 47%.

Every bodily system had increased a tremendous amount. And the scary part? He didn't know why.

The exciting part? He was finally getting powers.

So stupid, right? But it wasn't. Maybe his father could finally start training him like Jordan! Or maybe he could go out on patrol! He could get a cool nickname and be a part of a superhero team! Maybe he could get a cool super suit like his dad!

"Your vitals and bodily systems are now, however, back to normal." His grandfather starkly muttered.

Jonathan's heart dropped and his face went slack. What?