Chapter 4

August 20, 2022; 1:32pm:

"Faster." Clark grunted as he aimed another punch at Jordan.

Jordan rolled off to the side, hay poking him in the back. He got back up and tripped over his feet, stumbling off to the side, narrowly missing another punch.

Jonathan sat on the tractor in the corner and looked up from his book.

Another training session in the barn. Another way for Jonathan to be reminded that he wasn't special enough. Another day without his fathers attention.

"Left hook, drop your shoulder. Keep on your toes." Clark huffed, faking a kick and rolling out of the way, sweeping Jordan's feet out from under him.

Jordan yelped, but managed to back handspring away. He slipped a bit and tried to stay on his feet. His breath was ragged and short.

Clark coughed up a dry laugh. "At least you learned from last time."

Jordan smiled, but that was quickly wiped away...just like he was off his feet. Again. Clark faked a sidekick, fell into a split and jumped up, uppercutting Jordan in the chin.

Jonathan flinched. Maybe it was a good thing he didn't have powers.

Clark shook out his hand as Jordan laid on the ground, eyes closed, rubbing his jaw. The barn was silent except for the crunching of hay breath Jordan's back as he rolled onto his stomach, cradling his chin.

Clark wiped his forehead as he walked over to Jonathan who tossed him his water bottle. "Gotta be quicker than that."

Jordan groaned and sat up, anger and frustration painting his features.

Jonathan smirked and quickly looked back down at his book, not wanting to get in a scuffle with his super powered, angry brother.

"You're still sloppy on your transitions, J." Clark said, sipping his water. She set down the bottle and rolled his shoulders, his white shirt stretching thin around his back muscles. "Your feet are still unsteady and when you get tired, you just toss whatever you have into the fight. You've gotta stay focused."

Jordan grumbled and stood up. Jonathan could already see a bruise forming. But thankfully, thanks to his superpowers, super healing was also something he seemed to inherit.

Jonathan shook his head and turned back to his book when his phone in his pocket buzzed.

He sighed and pulled out his phone, taking a look at the notification. His eyes widened.

"Dad," He said. "Are your sensors working? For the police?"

Clark turned to face him and nodded slowly. "They should be. Nobody I know has tampered with them."

Jonathan held up his phone for his dad to see the screen. "I got a live update from Instagram from on of my friends. Reporters are surrounding the Chase bank, 20 minutes from here. There's a robbery and there are civilians in the bank. A suicide bomber in the center group of them."

Clarks face paled, but his jaw remained set. He nodded grimly and gestured for Jordan to remain where he was.

"I'm going to take this one alone." He began walking out the barn. Jordan and Jonathan exchanged grimaces before jogging after him. "If I need you, Jordan, I'll call for you. But for now. Stay here. I'll be home soon."

With a mighty leap, he jumped into the sky and took off to the East.

Jonathan watched his father turn to a hazy figure in the distance. Jordan's calm facade crumpled.

"He thinks I'll mess up again." He mumbled, kicking the ground.

Jonathan shrugged, still looking at the sky. "Now is not the time for practice, J. Not with so much at risk."