Chapter 15

Beep. Beep. Beep. Anomaly detected. Section 14523 25151811.

******

Friday, October 7, 7:13pm

"Crows, crows, hear us caw! Fear the bird and fear our claws!" The cheerleaders cried out to the raging crowd of students. The bleachers shook with such fury, the opposing team on the other side of the field gripped their bleachers, as if they were afraid that they were going to collapse.

In their huddled circle on the field, Jonathan and Jordan looked at each other and chuckled. It wasn't only their second to last game before playoffs and their last home game of the season, but it was also their BCA (Breast Cancer Awareness) game. Everyone was wearing pink shirts, pants, tutus, socks, hair bands, makeup, face paint...everything was pink. If there was one thing that students loved more than mini erasers and smelly stickers, it would be spirit days and games.

Jonathan looked down at his bright pink socks and pink numbers. The team had decided to go over their white jersey numbers with pink tape to one up the team. Some of the players even went as far to put pink streaks into their hair.

"Spirit days aren't just to raise awareness," Jonathan had explained to Cassie, whose European and Balkan mindset couldn't wrap her mind around the constant fundraising and decorating through the week. "They are to bring the students closer together and find a common goal to fight towards."

"So if you have so many spirit weeks, what is the point of homecoming?" Cassie responded.

Jonathan smirked. "For the old people to feel remembered in their communities."

"Can't they just host their own parties at home? Why does it need to be a school event?"

"20 seconds on the clock and then halftime, so just keep them where they are." Atoon mumbled through his helmet. "We're ahead by 7, and there's not a plausible way to get through their defense right now. Keep them in check and just block their plays. We'll get them back in the next half."

Everyone nodded and shouted "CROWS" before disbanding.

Jonathan quickly tapped Jordan's shoulder. "Why aren't you making the plays? You're the quarterback."

Jordan took out his mouth piece and whispered, "I've got the brawn, Atoon's got the brains. He finds the patterns in the other team's plays better than me or Gaines. So while I keep the title and position, Atoon makes our plays. Besides, he can't play quarterback and likes to stick to the sides."

"So why can't he tell you and you tell the team?" Jonathan asked as his brother walked away.

"It's easier for him just to say it. I don't want to mess anything up!" Jordan shouted as he got into place.

Jonathan quickly jogged over to his position and squatted down. He hissed in pain and gritted his teeth. His knees cracked like pop rocks and his muscles burned with annoyance. The bruises down his torso and along his arms were difficult to ignore, especially since more bruises just kept on appearing on top of them from constantly getting hit.