Chapter 17 3/4

11:39pm:

"Thanks again for dropping me off, Sarah." Cassie sighed, climbing out of the large van. She shivered as her bare feet hit the cool gravel.

Her feet had begun hurting in the dance so she had taken off her shoes and just thrown them off to the side. Heels were fun, but being barefoot was more so.

The night had been incredible, especially after Timmy Ryan had left. When they got to the school, he pulled her to the side and asked her not to walk in together. According to him, Cassie should've told him if she were going to wear heels because the guy should be the taller one in a duo.

Cassie only smiled and said, "If we aren't going to walk in together, then we won't be walking out together", and made him find a ride back home at the end of the night.

"See you Monday?" Anasi whispered, shifting Jonathan's head on her shoulder. The older twin had knocked right out after the group of them went out to get ice cream. In the back of the van, Tim laid across the seats with Jordan, whose thighs at the moment were being used as pillows.

It had been a good night with a few closer calls then Cassie would have liked, especially when Jonathan almost lost control again.

Cassie smiled at the Urdu female and nodded yes. She blew her and Sarah kisses before shutting the door and making her way down the driveway.

Despite the cold November air, the bitterness of the night was a welcome feeling. The past few days had been nothing but heated arguments, feelings, and a mess of movement. There was always something happening and she just felt...overstimulated.

The gravel bit into her feet and got stuck in between her toes as she walked closer to her house. The stinging sensation after each step eased as she walked onto her walkway, and very quickly, the brick pathway became her wooden steps which quickly became her porch with splintered pieces of wood.

As she opened the door, she watched through the reflection of the van through the main living room window. The bright lights temporarily blinded her, but the vertigo seeped away as she turned the door handle and walked inside.

It was cold inside, which wasn't unusual. Cassie's mother was raised to only use the heater when you could see your breath. In the house. In the middle of the day. But that was fine by Cassie's standards. The cold felt good. And besides, like mother like daughter, both Sandsmarks loved sleeping in the cold.

Griffin was on the couch and barely opened an eye when he heard his co-owner drop her shoes near the coat rack. Chimera, who slept on his bed near the bookshelves, stood up, yawned and stretched, and slowly walked over to get scratches. Cerberus was nowhere to be seen (most likely sleeping with mom in her room).

"Hey buddy," Cassie said, squatting down and giving her angel a kiss on the forehead. The dog pushed his head more forcefully into her lips, making her fall back. Cassie laughed as he then proceeded to give her kisses. She leaned up against the door and weakly attempted to push the dog back. "I know, I know. I'm sorry I was gone for so long."

"You should have told someone that you would be out this late."

Cassie felt her heart stop. She held Chim's face back and scanned the room. When her gaze went to the dining room, she noticed a feminine figure at the very far end of the table with a wine glass in her hand.

Cassie vaguely felt herself stand up and curl her fists. Before she could say anything, the hallway light turned on. As Cassie blinked the dark spots away, she saw her mom walk down the stairs with Cerberus right on her heels.