Neglected

Elizabeth Russo is a world-renowned lawyer. Cut-throat, cruel, and powerful when it comes to getting the job done and getting it done right. It never mattered whether the client was innocent or not; she would take them all.

And they would all get off scot-free.

Which explains the mansion I grew up in, the bullying I received in school, and the cold-shoulder from her whenever I disappointed.

Which was often.

"What happened?" The car jerks slightly as Liam shifts it into park in front of the large white mansion and I turn to face him hesitantly.

"What do you mean?"

"I know that you've been dreading this dinner, but you're acting like Yoda just died."

"Don't you even joke about that." I snap at him, but he only levels me with an unamused stare, knowing that I am trying to change the subject.

"Nothing. Just the fact that I have to spend the night hearing about how much of a disappointment I am."

It's partially true.

Liam sighs and opens his mouth –no doubt to spew some crap about our mom not thinking of me as a failure- but I quickly exit the Porsche mommy dearest bought him. My heels crunch against the gravel and I don't wait for him as I make my way up the porch steps.

I don't want to think or talk about Harry. The realization I came to about my growing feelings for him was one thing, but to hear him confirm that he was simply using me to get into my pants is another.

Both, equally as crushing.

Of course I shouldn't have expected more and I knew that deep down, considering the type of guy he is. But, I think on some level I believed that all the attention Harry gave me meant more than it did.

That maybe, just maybe, someone could actually want me. All of me.

But, once again, I was wrong.

"Just please try not to cause a scene." Liam pleads as he races in front of me in order to greet our mother first.

I clear my mind of everything to do with that curly haired brit and instead plaster on a sickeningly-sweet smile as the large mahogany doors open to reveal the woman that scolds me even in my dreams.

"Liam, I've missed you!" Her petite frame is completely engulfed by Liam's broadness and I awkwardly inspect my hands as I hear my mother dote on him, "Oh, you've gotten so big. And you've grown a beard! I bet all the ladies are fawning on you, but none are good enough, ya hear me?"

Liam just laughs uncomfortably and pulls away to reveal me standing behind him. My mother's chocolate eyes flight to me and even though I would like to pretend I imagined it, I know the way her smile tightens slightly is all too real.

"Aspen, darling," Her tone is dramatically colder as she pulls me into a quick embrace, red lips attaching to my cheek before pulling back and examining me, "Have you put on a bit of weight?"

Liam's face visibly pales and it takes everything in me to bite my tongue and not make some comment about how the orange dress she has on makes her look like a pumpkin. Which, it totally does.

She leads us through the large foyer even though the marble floors, grand staircase, and excessive amount of artwork are all too familiar. The mansion is filled with illusions of grandeur and what most kids could only dream of growing up in, but only resulted in bitter resentment and cold affection.

"Margo made us divine oysters for an appetizer and some lobster for dinner."

My heart drops at her words.