Flustered fencer

Summary: When it came to fencing, she was good, but fencing against him made it hard to keep up and not get flustered.

Xavier watched without looking away; he was always going to be amazed at her skill. y/n never lost to any of the other fencers.No matter how many times she fought against any of them or they against her, she was always able to win, and they were never able to win.

What had made y/n a bit special, however, was how kind she was about it all. No matter who her opponent was, she would compliment them and their skill, and anyone who dared to say anything negative about their fencing to her would be met with an immediate protest. She was gracious towards everyone, never wanting people to see her as above them.

Sometimes Xavier even thought she was a bit too gracious towards people who did not deserve her respect. He remembered a guy about two years back who, since having graduated from Nevermore, refused to salute y/n before their second round, all because she had won the first point. Not saluting your opponent is a sign of respect, no matter what your personal opinion of them as a person is, so that was a big no. Yet, when y/n had won and the older boy had bitterly thrown off his mask, she still gave a smile and said it was a good match.

So Xavier stood off to the side, saber in hand, as he just watched y/n and one of the other boys, Will, fence with one another. Their bout was soon over, but y/n was close to getting the fifteenth point before the time was up. Just one more touch, and she would win this.

To no surprise, y/n was able to get in a last touch before the nine minutes were up. As soon as she had touched Will's chest with the point of her saber, she stepped back and made sure to give the boy room.

"Well done, l/n." Coach praised her with a clap of his hands, and Xavier was also clapping at her.

"It was nothing," y/n said as she removed her mask. "You almost had me for a second."

"Almost." Will pointed out that he too had taken off his mask to reveal his face.

"Don't be like that; you were awesome." And there was that graciousness in her. She was all too kind towards people, but that was also one of the things that he liked about her.

As y/n started to converse with Will, Xavier could not help but glare a little. But he soon did not have to glare anymore as Bianca pulled y/n aside, giving her a bottle of water while they began to talk instead, and Will walked off, but not before shooting a questioning look at the taller boy.

It was actually surprising to Xavier that even Bianca did not have any grudges against y/n. It was such an odd duo that had occurred when they first started at Nevermore, and it was even more odd that the siren had never been irritated at the other girl; she was more impressed by her.

"Thorpe," the coach said, drawing Xavier's attention away from the two girls, one of whom was his ex and the other a longtime crush. "Wanna go for a bout? You've been standing around most of the time."

"Uh, yeah, sure."

"Good. L/n," the coach said as he approached the girl. "Care for another bout?"

"Of course," Her smile was bright as Bianca patted her shoulder, as if to say she would win.

"Well then, Mr. Thorpe, l/n, middle."

At the mention of Xaviers' last name, y/n turned your head towards him, eyes just slightly wide. She found that he was already looking at her before he shrugged and walked towards the middle of the strip, waiting for her to do the same.

But she just stood there, looking at Xavier, and her mind was running wild. She did have a weakness when it came to fencing, and it was one she did not want to say out loud to anyone, especially not to Bianca. Xavier had just, in some way, slithered his way into her heart and gotten comfortable there. She felt bad for liking him; honestly, he was Bianca's ex, and Bianca was her friend.