A dead heart

Summary: She pays a little visit to him, and it turns out she can actually be in love, she just does not have a heart that can tell her it.

Note: reader is a ghost

They had been quiet for the past few minutes, just sitting in comfortable silence with one another. The floor was cold; even just the small bed would be more comfortable, but they had been sitting on the stone floor for about five minutes and had gotten comfortable. He had asked for them to just not talk, and she had given him that without any problem.

y/n could get in major trouble for being there, and they both knew that. No one is supposed to be in the cell of an accused murderer, but no one was going to know of her little visit. The guard might have gotten something to help him get into a very deep slumber where no sound would wake him. No, he was not dead. The guard was, actually, just in a very deep slumber.

It was all thanks to Mrs. Thornhill teaching their class about that little seed that could put anyone into a deep, ten-hour sleep. Luckily enough for y/n she had been listening to that lesson, and the information proved useful. The only tricky part had been getting the seed into the officers' drink.

It was very late. Curfew had long since passed at Nevermore, but y/n sat on the cell floor, one of his hands in hers, while the other traced a nameless shape onto the back of his hand. This was what he had requested while sitting in silence.

Xavier opened his eyes after having them closed for a while, looking at the chains that had been around his hands and then the collar thing around his neck. He was thankful for the girl beside him, as she had been able to get her hands on the key to them, and for the time she was going to spend with him, he did not have to feel restrained.

Glancing over at y/n, he could see she was just staring off into space while her hand absentmindedly drew the nameless shapes on his hand. Why she believed him and not her new friend, Wednesday, was beyond him. But when she had just about half an hour earlier appeared in his cell, pointing out how awfully lonely it must be, he felt his whole being warm up.

That was the effect she often had on him, but she was also an intriguing character in Nevermore. y/n didn't really mix with or join any of the cliques in school. At first, he had just observed her from a distance, watching as she would sit by herself and do schoolwork or just read a book.

The first time they ever really interacted was when they were about fifteen. Xavier was in the Nightshades' little secret place when all of a sudden, a confused "What the fuck?" was uttered. When he turned, there she stood, her face puzzled as she turned to look around.

The memory of y/n being so shocked at the secret space that she had involuntarily become invisible and had made him confused as to where she was always brought a smile to his face. But, looking back, what was even funnier was how she mistook him for rude and acting as if he didn't know where she was, because she had no idea she was completely invisible to him.

Even now, in his miserable place in the world, accused of being a monster who had killed people, the memory still made him smile slightly while watching y/n just staring off into space.

"By the way, you know the love of your life is Bianca—" Before y/n could even finish that sentence, Xavier leaned his head back with a groan of annoyance, causing the girl to snort at him.

"Don't call her that." He rolled his head over to face her, and she only shrugged.

"I didn't call her that; that's what your fifteen-year-old self called her." She teased him because she couldn't stop making fun of him for it.

"I'm never escaping that one, am I?"

"We'll see. Maybe you will, maybe you won't."

Xavier shook his head at y/n, now actually feeling like talking once they had started. "I can't really call that love now, can I?"