Chapter 37: Long Distance (Diggy)

"What do you mean you're moving to LA?" I moved away from her.

"My cousin has a place out there, I got a full scholarship to play basketball there at UCLA. Everything is already set." She bit her lip.

"And you didn't even think about me? I start NYU this week." I shook my head.

"Diggy you were engaged." She rolled her eyes.

"Yeah but you were still taking my child all the way across the country." I sat down.

She was silent. "You're right. I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do now. I don't want to pass up this opportunity."

I looked at her and sighed. "And I wouldn't want to stand in the way of your dreams. Go to LA. I'll be here when you come visit. When are you leaving?"

"Two days." She looked down.

"Might as well make it last right?" I stood up.

"Make what last?" She looked at me.

I picked her up and kissed her deeply.

The next morning we woke up body to body. Skin to skin. I kissed her forehead and kissed down her stomach. When I got where I wanted to be she woke up and put her hand in my hair.

"Dig." She moaned.

I chuckled. "Yes baby?"

"What are you doing?" She started breathing heavily.

"Just showing you what you won't be waking up to once you leave." I put her legs on my shoulders.

She pulled my hair causing me to look at her.

"If you don't want me to go Dig, I won't go." She searched my eyes.

I sighed. "I want you to go but we just got back together. I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you too." She ran her fingers through my hair.

The next day came faster than I thought and Viana was getting ready to board her plane. Knowing that this would be the last time I seen her for a while sunk me. I felt like I hit an iceberg and things were just getting worse.

A few hours later I still hadn't heard from her and she said she was going to call me when she made it safely. It made me worry about what was going on and if she was okay.

"Dig?" My uncle walked into my apartment.

"I'm in the kitchen." I said looking at my laptop.

He soon walked into the room. "What's so important that I had to come over here?"

I looked at him. "Are you still cool with that guy from UCLA?"

He nodded. "Yeah we golf every time I'm out there, why?"

"I need to enroll in their fall semester." I closed my laptop.

"Diggy the semester already started." He shrugged his shoulders.

"That's why I'm asking you. I know you can hook it up unc." I turned towards him.

He sat down. "This a Viana thing?"

I nodded.

"Alright. Get you a flight out there and I'll make sure you're enrolled." He shook his head.

"Thanks man. That means a lot." I smiled.

I knew if I didn't go to LA I would be losing out on the family I've always wanted. Viana has sacrificed a lot for me. She's always been there for me and now it's time for me to be there for her.