Chapter 44: Angel In Disguise (Jessica)

I know I've caused a lot of hurt in a lot of people's lives and I honestly hate that. I know I've had my ways in the past but I'm still human and I do have a heart. I got the results to the test and I'm actually relieved.

Last night I got a message from my mom telling me Viana's mom called her and told her she was in the hospital out here. Am I the cause? My heart began breaking. Was I really that awful?

I decided to go by the hospital and visit her just to show her I do care and I am sorry for everything I've ever put her through. When I walked into the room and seen her condition I didn't know how to feel. I turned to my side and seen Diggy sleeping whilst holding her hand. The view made me smile. It belonged in a frame. I took a picture. I know this is something Viana would want to see if she could.

"What are you doing here?" Diggy groaned.

"I came to check on her." I sighed.

He rubbed his eyes. "How long have you been here?"

I shook my head. "Not long. How is she doing?"

He sat up looking at her. "Doctors said she's going to be fine. She was in a car accident."

"Where's your daughter?" I rubbed my arm.

"My sister came and got her last night." He looked at me. "Where's your son?"

"With his dad. I have the results to prove it." I tried to ease the tension.

He sighed in relief. "Okay."

I looked at Viana and realized just how beautiful she really is. Even laying in this hospital bed she's glowing.

"I really wanna hate you, you know that right?" Diggy chuckled snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I wouldn't blame you, but all the time you'd take hating me you could use loving her." I smiled at him.

He smiled at her. "Im gonna do that regardless."

I seen so much love in his eyes when he looked at her. "You really love her, huh?"

He looked at me. "My mom told me that the day Viana was born I was crying, hysterically, no one could calm me down, I was a mess inside that hospital." He chuckled. "Then she took me to see her where they were keeping the babies and I stopped crying, out of no where. All my pain was gone when I seen her face."

I smiled.

He looked at her and I could tell he was about to cry. "Ive never told anyone this story, not even her but when Viana was five we were playing in Queens, my uncle had taken us out there so he could handle some...business. My uncle ended up shooting someone, I can't remember the reason why but as the guy was laying on the floor I seen him raise his gun and I walked in front of it, thinking I could stop the bullet and I closed my eyes when I heard the gun fire. I opened my eyes expecting me or my uncle to be hurt but..." Tears fell down his eyes. "...Viana was hugging me. She had a bullet in her back. To this day she has a scar on the right side of her back. She's believed it was a birth mark this whole time. She doesn't remember anything but that's something I'm gonna hold with me for the rest of my life."

I felt a tear fall down my cheek. "Diggy, if I knew this before we got together I would've never been with you because it is so obvious to me now that you two are meant for each other. You may not know it but she is your guardian angel based on that story you just told me."

He looked at me then he looked away.

This is one of those moments when I slap myself in the face. I was so ugly to Viana and for what? She's never done anything to me even after all I've done to her. I've seen her journal she's an amazing writer. I feel stupid for even going through that thing.

The only thing I can think about right now is her daughter. I don't wish this on anyone. She's a good woman. A good mother. And I'm sure if I wasn't who I was she would've been a good friend. I walked over and sat on her bed.

"You know she forgives you right?" Diggy rubbed her hand.

"And how do you know?" I looked at him.

"Because she forgives everybody, no matter how bad. I've always hated that about her. It just made her too vulnerable to me but I'm more than positive that if you told her whatever it is you're thinking right now she'd forgive you."

I chuckled because I believed him surprisingly. Part of me is still in love with Diggy but Viana is exactly what he needs and I'm glad he found his angel.

As I went to say something the doctor walked in with a disappointed look on his face.

"Mr. Simmons can you come with me to discuss some things?" He looked at Viana and back at Diggy.

Diggy looked at me. "I'll be back."

As he left with the doctor I looked at Viana. "I can see it in his eyes that he's hurting and I need you to protect him and to do that I need you to wake up."

All of this is hurting me way more than I expected and I can't be here when Diggy walks in. I have to go. She's meant for him. She's his angel I just didn't see it before. He doesn't need me and never will as long as he has her.