The Sorting Hat

Eventually the train came to a stop and I exited the compartment, "see you later Asteria," Fred said as he exited behind me. "Yes see you two later, you can call me Astra by the way," I reply telling them my nickname. "Astra I like it" George replies blushing. "Bye, I better go find my brother before he gets into some sort of trouble." As I step out onto the platform I notice Draco and his friends staring and laughing at a giant man calling the first years to follow him. "Grow up Draco," I say as I catch up to him. We followed the giant to the black lake which was full of boats floating along the surface. Draco and I jump into a boat and I gesture for Crabb and Goyle to follow us so there's no room for Pansy in our boat. She gives me a dirty look as she leaves to get in another boat with a bigger girl. The boats traveled across the lake toward the large beautiful castle. The boats reached the end and we all shuffled out of the boats and see a strict-looking older woman in emerald robes and a pointy hat. "The first- years Professor McGonagall," speaks the giant. "Thank you Hagrid, I will take them from here." We followed her making our way deeper into the castle and up a staircase and stopping outside a big grand door.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup," Professor McGonagall explains to us. "Trevor," A plump looking boy yells as he pushes to the front of the group and picks up a toad. McGonagall stares down at him as some of the students laugh, while I feel sorry for the awkward boy. "Sorry," he apologizes and backs away, embarrassed. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," She adds and walks off into the grand doorway.

As we're eagerly waiting for the professor to come back Draco starts to cause trouble right beside me. "It's true then, what they're saying on the train, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts. "some of the students start whispering Harry Potter. "This is Crabbe and Goyle, my sister Asteria... and I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." As I'm about to say something, another redhead snickers, who I guessed was Ron Weasley. The twins told me about him and some of the pranks they pulled on him when he was younger. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Draco extends his hand toward Harry as if to shake his hand, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks," Harry says as he leaves Draco looking shocked. I can't help but chuckle.

Professor McGonagall returns and taps Draco on the shoulder with a paper. He looks back at Harry with one last glare. "We're ready for you now, follow me." She leads us through the doors and into a Grand Hall where there are four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. As we walk, a boy with black curly hair starts talking to me, "Cute kitten," he mentions, "Thanks, her name is Nova," I reply. He then pulls a ferret out of his pocket, "this is Bandit." "He's cute too," I say admiring the adorable little ferret. We continue past the students already at tables. I see the twins waving at me vigorously. I let out a smile and give a small wave back. A fluffy haired girl says something in front of me, "it's not real, the ceiling, it's just bewitched to look like the night sky, I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." I look up and notice more lit candles floating giving the illusion of a night sky, it was very pretty. "Will you wait right here, please? Before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," McGonagall says as we reach a stool in front of the teachers table with an old tatted looking hat displayed on the stool.

The headmaster Professor Dumbledore stands up from the main table and speaks. "I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," he gestures to a ragged old man, with a spooky looking cat with red eyes, and continues speaking. "He has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." He sits back down at his table. "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses, "Professor McGonagall speaks.

I zone out for a few minutes, Nova lightly paws at my shoulder, which brings me out of my daydream, my attention now on the hat. I notice the bushy haired girl walking off to the Gryffindor table. "Atticus Grey" the scruffy haired boy with the ferret sits on the stool next. Oh so that's his name I mutter to myself. He's gets sorted into Ravenclaw, although he looked more shocked than excited, I wonder why. "Neville Longbottom" the same plump boy who disrupted Professor McGonagall earlier to pick up his toad, trips as he walks over to the stool. Some laughter is heard but I don't join in.  He's sorted into Gryffindor of all places, more laughter erupts as he walks off to the Gryffindor table with the sorting hat still on his head, even I couldn't help but chuckle a little. He walks back handing it back to Professor McGonagall and slumping back to his table. "Asteria Malfoy," oh that's my name, I have nothing to worry about I'm obviously getting sorted into Slytherin, I think to myself as I head to the stool. I sit down and as Professor McGonagall slightly moves the hat it yells "Slytherin" before it's even touched my head. I stand up proudly and walk over to the Slytherin table. My brother is called next and the same things happens with him, the hat yells Slytherin just before touching his head. He proudly walks over to the table and I move over so he can sit in-between me and Goyle. Alexander McGonagall was called next which took the hat 5 minutes to decide where to put him. It finally came to a decision on Gryffindor. Theodore Nott was called next who got sorted into Slytherin, he came and sat next to me. Then it was Pansy, I knew deep down she would be sorted with us, and to my disappointment she was. I gave her the evil eye as she passes to sit opposite me. A few other names get called then its Harry Potters turn, he sits on the stool and has the hat placed on his head. I see him whispering something under his breath, suddenly the hat yells "Gryffindor." I'm a bit disappointed that we don't get the famous Harry Potter in our house but oh well we have two Malfoys, that's better than none. "We got Potter! We got Potter!" I hear the Weasley twins yell and I giggle to myself.  Someone named Lisa Turpin was next who was sorted in Ravenclaw, then Ron Weasley was obviously sorted into Gryffindor with his brothers. Last but not least was Blaze Zabini who was sorted with us in Slytherin.

"Your attention, please," McGonagall speaks to get everyone's attention. Dumbledore rose from the table, "Let the feast...begin." After he says this all the most yummy food appears on the table in front of us. Draco looks at all the food, raises his eyebrows and digs in like the pig he is. I dig in too but im not messy like him. After a few minutes of eating, numerous ghosts come pouring from the walls. The Bloody Barron floats through our table and sits on the other side of Draco, which scares him, causing him to drop a chicken leg on the floor. I laugh out loud hysterically.