Part 16

Raeya could barely remember what happened after the argument.

Her running away, her jumping onto an Ikran and flying away, them landing on one of the remote tiny islands on the outer reef.

All of it went by in a blur.

Neteyam gently removed his braid from the Ikran, he jumped down and looked up at Raeya.

Her eyes were glued to the direction that they had came from, her home island couldn't even been seen from this far.

"Raeya," his soft voice brought Raeya back from her deep thoughts. She looked at him with confused look. What did she just do? Had she just ruined her life forever?

"Take my hand," he said and reached out. He could tell that the argument had really shaken her up.

Raeya reached out and accepted Neteyams hand, she lifted herself up from the Ikran and started to jump. Right as she was about to make the jump his Ikran moved slightly and made her trip in her way.

She landed right in Neteyams arms, his strong embrace swallowed her whole.

"I got you," he said and held her in his arms.

Raeya couldn't even process what had happened, she was to out of it to react.

Although she wanted to stay in his embrace, she had to let go.

Raeya removed herself from his arms and walked away without looking at him.

She walked on the rocks that the entire island was made out of, and sat down.

She just looked at the vast blue ocean in front of her, and wondered. Did she just ruin any chance she had with Neteyam? Was she going to have to give him up forever?

Neteyam saw how she looked at the horizon and walked over to her. He sat down right next to her and placed his hand on hers.

"Raeya this isn't your fault," he had to begin somewhere with this conversation, and the best place seemed to be, to reassure her that she didn't do anything wrong.

"What if your family gets kicked out because of me?" She looked at him with tearing eyes.

"Then I won't leave."

"Neteyam, this is my fault, I shouldn't have told him about us,"

"No, Raeya, you had to tell him one way or another, he had to know." He tried to comfort her.

"But you heard what he said, nothing with us is set in stone, that means that he will still make me marry Aonung."

His thoughts drifted of a little bit. If they had mated, Raeya couldn't marry Aonung, and the agreement would be broken. But he quickly came back to his senses.

Neteyam placed his fingers under Raeyas chin and lifted her face up to meet his gaze.

"Raeya, listen to me, nothing, no one, can ever tear us apart, I am your and you are mine, forever." He touched their foreheads together.

"I see you Raeya," he breathed her in and closed his eyes.

"I see you Neteyam," she closed her eyes and let his words sink in.

They sat like that for a while, but Raeya had been deep in her thoughts.

"Take me away from here," she whispered quietly.

Neteyam lifted his head away from hers and looked at her.

"Away? What do you mean?" He was confused by her words. But she just looked at him and placed both her hands on the sides of his face.