Tumia

Gazing at the stars, I envisioned a world where tranquility and clean air were the norm. Unfortunately, humanity's reckless actions over the past century had left our planet uninhabitable. After a decade of searching, scientists pinpointed a potential refuge: Tumia.

Located 500 million miles away, Tumia boasted ideal conditions for human habitation, except for one glaring issue – its indigenous species weren't exactly rolling out the welcome mat. Despite our efforts to negotiate treaties, some were eager to coexist peacefully, while others clamored to integrate with the native population.

As the daughter of a high-ranking military general, my father's duties often overshadowed his presence at home. Assigned to oversee potential conflicts with the Tumian inhabitants, he was prepared to use force if necessary. After painstaking negotiations, a fragile agreement emerged – we could settle on Tumia as long as we stayed clear of the Kentran territories.

"Thalia," my father's voice interrupted my thoughts as he entered the passenger area. His authority loomed large, a reminder of the weighty responsibilities we carried.

"We'll be landing soon," he announced, his tone reflecting a mix of determination and caution.

I nodded, anticipation coursing through me as Tumia's mesmerizing pink hue drew closer. Before departing, we underwent extensive training on the Kratens – their biology, behaviors, and cultural intricacies. Dr. Evans, a leading expert in Kratens studies, had established a school near their borders, aiming to foster understanding between our species.

As our ship descended, excitement mingled with apprehension. Among the handful of passengers, I recognized Ava, a childhood friend, whose optimism contrasted sharply with my own unease.

Stepping onto Tumia's soil, I marveled at its vibrant colors and the promise of clean air. This planet held the key to our redemption, a chance to undo the damage wrought on Earth.

Led by military escorts, we made our way to a central facility nestled near the forest's edge. Inside, Dr. Evans greeted us with a warm smile, her enthusiasm contagious despite the challenges ahead.

"Welcome, everyone," she greeted us, taking a seat at the end of the table, her eyes filled with anticipation.

Among us were three boys and four girls. Ava, a close friend of mine, sat nearby, alongside Jax, whose sharp intellect and knowledge of the Kratens marked him as a valuable asset. Michelle and her cousin Christopher, both related to the Sergeant, occupied another spot. Finally, there was Halle, accompanied by her brother Jake, who sat beside me. While I harbored no ill will towards Jake, I couldn't say the same for Halle, whose snobbish demeanor grated on my nerves. Nonetheless, we were all here for a common purpose – to forge a new life on Tumia.

"As you all know, our goal is to make Tumia our home and coexist peacefully with the Kratens," Dr. Evans began, her voice brimming with determination. "I've spent the last two years building a school near their borders, aiming to foster understanding between our species."

We listened in silence, knowing full well the weight of our responsibilities. Forced by circumstance, we were now tasked with bridging the gap between humans and Kratens.

Halle's hand shot up, prompting a pause from Dr. Evans, who welcomed her inquiry.

"So, you're suggesting we risk our safety by integrating with these creatures? My father's witnessed their savagery firsthand – they're nothing but wild animals," Halle voiced her apprehensions.

Dr. Evans met her concerns with a reassuring smile. "Halle, I assure you, safety is our top priority. The school is strategically located within our base, ensuring a secure environment along the border lines."

Her words sought to quell Halle's fears, emphasizing the precautions in place to safeguard our well-being amidst the delicate endeavor of cultural integration.

With no further questions, Dr. Evans dismissed us, granting us time to rest before our first day at the school.

As we left the lab, Halle couldn't contain her frustration, lamenting our forced relocation.

"I can't fathom why we were compelled to join that," Halle exclaimed with a hint of bitterness.

"You're just upset you won't have servants waiting on you hand and foot," Jake teased, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Halle, look at the bright side. We get to inhabit this breathtaking planet and breathe in its fresh air! And with more reinforcements on the way, this entire planet will be ours," Michelle remarked optimistically.

Confusion clouded my expression as I turned to Michelle. "What do you mean by that?"

An uneasy silence fell over the group until Asher intervened, pinching Michelle's arm discreetly.

"What she means is that with the military presence here, we'll be exposed to a multitude of opportunities," Ava clarified hastily.

Reflecting on my father's terse instructions following the funeral, I realized the true purpose behind our relocation. We had been compelled to attend preparation classes and uproot our lives for a singular objective – to foster peace on this distant planet.

Retreating to my room, I reflected on the events of the day. Despite the uncertainties that lay ahead, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope for our future on Tumia. This planet, with its vibrant landscapes and untapped potential, offered us a chance at redemption – a chance to build a new home, far from the shadows of our troubled past.