Rebirth

Everyone was sleeping soundly as we reached Olha. Queen Pollen stayed close to Luna, praying over her baby and family.

I wasn't allowed inside the cave with the clan. Queen Pollen had taken it upon herself to exclude me.

I huffed, sitting outside with my feet touching the roots of Olha. Looking back, I saw the warm fire around the clan as they all slept.

It was rather uncomfortable being alone in the dark cave. Sleeping on the rough ground, I tossed and turned, unable to rest comfortably.

I stood up and headed into the forest. My brain was fogged with the memories of blood and smoke from earlier. My lungs felt heavy; I must have inhaled too much smoke.

As I strolled outside, I saw Vorian praying to the tree. I walked over and heard him sniffling.

He was shaking as he cried endlessly. "Vorian," I whispered, and he looked up at me, wiping his tears.

"You should be asleep," he coughed, standing up and walking toward me.

I paused, holding his arm as I looked at his face. He must have been out here crying for hours. "You can talk to me," I whispered as he trembled, holding back his tears.

"I—I can't do it, Thalia," he said, and I nodded, waiting to hear more.

"I'm not sure what to do... my father and brother are dead, and my people need a leader," he confessed.

"They have you," I said, encouraging him to see all the good he does.

But he disagreed, shaking his head. "I'm not a leader."

Gripping his cheeks, I stared into his eyes. "You rescued over 100 of your people from a prison and brought those who survived an attack to safety. You are a leader just as your father and brother were," I snapped.

"They need you now, Vorian! Your mother and sister need you! I need you," I pleaded, begging him not to give up.

I pressed our foreheads together before kissing his lips tenderly. We meshed together, kissing harder as I gripped his hair.

Vorian pulled away before kissing my lips once more. "I love you," he whispered, shocking me.

I paused, not sure how to reply. "I—, Vorian."

He glanced at me, offended by my words. It's not right for us to be together. His mother alone would kill me.

"My people destroyed your home," I whispered.

"Tha—" he began.

"Eldrith is awake!" Queen Pollen shouted, interrupting us as we both turned and ran inside.

Everyone was crowded around Eldrith's unconscious body. Rushing over, I saw she was awake and smiled, thanking Olha that she didn't die.

Queen Pollen was overjoyed as she squeezed her daughter. Eldrith was still weak, but we were blessed that she was alive.

Vorian clasped our hands together in front of everyone. I tried to break free, but his grip wouldn't let go as he dragged me over to his sister.

His mother eyed me as we sat to check on Eldrith. Vorian pulled her into a hug as he checked her vitals and any bruises.

"Son, the human isn't allowed in here," Queen Pollen snapped, glaring at me.

As I began to stand up, Vorian pulled me back down. His mother glared at him as he gritted his teeth, not wanting me to go.

"Let me go," I whispered, as this was starting a scene.

"Thalia isn't sleeping outside," he replied, earning a gasp from his mother.

She was boiling with anger from his defiance. I closed my eyes; I didn't want to come between their family right now.

"That girl has brought harm to us! She will sleep far away," his mother shouted, but Vorian wasn't giving up as he squeezed my hand.

"She's my mate, therefore she will stay with me," he announced, causing everyone in the room to gasp.

Queen Pollen's mouth hung open as she stood up and smacked Vorian hard across the face. I gasped, not expecting her to do such a thing.

"Get out of here," she roared.

Vorian did as she said, dragging me away from the crowd and towards his room, far from the clan.

"Why did you tell her?" I spoke first as he laid down on the grass-bedded floor.

I was sitting on my knees, glaring at him for his bad timing. His mother already hates my guts. Pushing it in her face that we're together was insane.

Vorian rolled his eyes, grabbing my hands and pulling me to lay down. I stumbled as he rolled me on top, pushing my hair to the side.

My body began to heat as my face blushed from the action. "She would find out sooner or later," he whispered.

I sat up, straddling his waist as his arms rested against my legs, lightly tapping them. "But everyone is grieving right now. You've added more fuel to the fire," I replied, but Vorian didn't seem to care as he sat up. I touched his cheek, still red from her smack.

He leaned in to kiss me, and I ran my hands around his neck, embracing it. There was a lot going on in our lives, but being here alone with him settled my anxiety.

"I'd rather my mother be angry at me than not have you by my side," he whispered, causing me to blush again.

He's saying sweet things, and now is just not the time. I sighed, resting my head in his neck.

"I will get revenge," he said as I ran my hand through his hair, massaging his scalp.

"I know," I replied.