Challenges

"Are you sure you're alright?" My father asked for the 5th time.

"Yes, look, my arm is perfectly fine," I said, lifting it to show the wound was healed.

Since last night, the base has been on high alert. I tried to explain it was simply an animal attack, but the corporal assumes otherwise.

"I should head to class," I said, grabbing my bag and leaving his office.

My mind was blown by how the water healed me so fast. I had never seen anything like it. Hopping on the truck, I headed to the class camp; the rest had arrived earlier, as my father halted me to ask more about last night's attack.

Getting off, I quickly ran inside as class had already started. The Kratens were back today, and as I opened the door, everyone stared at me.

"Glad you could join us, Miss Gold," Dr. Evans smiled.

I smiled back, taking my seat in the back beside Ava. She gave me a questioning look, but I mouthed that I was alright.

We went over the lesson, and before I knew it, class was over. Today, the Kraten didn't speak to us, which was quite delightful.

"I truly feel it's disgusting to share a room with such trash," Halle mocked as the Kraten began to walk outside.

Eldrith turned around, glaring at her, as she began to make a fist. "What did you call us?" She asked, stepping closer to Halle.

"Trash... it's what we humans call those below us," she smirked.

We all watched the two glare at each other, wondering who would make the first move. I could tell Eldrith looked pissed, but Halle seemed entertained.

One of her friends walked up, grabbing her shoulder, speaking in their language. The girl nodded, turning away as she began to walk to the woods.

Halle took it upon herself to pull Eldrith's ponytail hard, causing the girl to fall to the ground. We all gasped at the scene as the Kraten got defensive, growling at Halle.

The guards came over fast, pushing the kids back as if Halle was the victim. "Get out of here!" They shouted in a cruel tone, pointing their guns at them.

I could see the fear in their eyes as they helped Eldrith up, running into the forest. Halle held a smirk on her face as she watched them run.

As she walked back over to us, I was brewing with anger. "What is your problem?" I shouted, startling her.

"She attacked me," Halle lied, looking at her nails.

"You pulled her hair," I grumbled, hating that she put them in that situation. Even if the Kraten and humans were different, we all deserved to be treated fairly. What Halle did was cruel.

"Did she not attack me?" She asked our friends; they all went silent before slowly nodding their heads, indulging in her lies.

I scoffed at their idiotic behavior as I walked away from the group. We all witnessed what Halle did, yet they lied for her. She was always a mean girl growing up, but witnessing my friends enable such nasty behavior, I couldn't believe it.

I walked towards the tree that stood close to the border. Eldrith and her friends were long gone now. Climbing up the tree, I tried to see if I could get a better look from above.

Once I reached my familiar spot, I paused; somebody was here just a few minutes ago. Looking out, I saw a few trees moving and considered my next actions.

Without thinking any longer, I climbed down and ran back into the forest. It was stupid, but I had to thank Vorian.

Running through the woods, I followed him in the air as his body swung by the vines. He was fast, but so was I.

I continued going deeper and deeper into the forest for another 20 minutes until I watched his body drop to the ground. Catching my breath, I walked further, pushing the leaves out of my face, wondering where he went.

As I was about to move another leaf, I felt hands cover my mouth and pull me against the tree. I began to freak out as I heard voices approach.

They were Kratens walking right past me as they spoke their language. Once they were gone, the person removed their hands and forced my back against the tree hard.

I groaned, noticing I found Vorian. "What are you doing?" He growled.

"Do you want to get killed?" He further asked.

I had no clue what I was doing, but my gut told me to follow him. "I saw you in the trees," I replied as he groaned, slapping his face.

"Thank you for saving me last night," I whispered as he glanced at me again.

"I didn't do it out of mercy," he grumbled, but I only smiled at his words.

"I'm still grateful. I could have died," I said.

His face softened as he backed away, giving me personal room. Staring up at Vorian, I was amazed again; he was vastly taller than me, and his grey eyes always captured me in a trance.

"I should take you back, it's not safe here," he said, dragging my arm, but I stopped him firmly, not wanting to return yet.

"Show me around," I asked sharply, causing him to stare at me as if I was crazy.

"I am not your friend, human," he huffed, walking away from me, but I was persistent and followed behind, not letting this go.

"We are not, but I want to see this planet's flowers," I asked. "The ones on Earth have been dead for decades..." I whispered the last part.

Vorian began to groan as I knew he was more compassionate than he puts on. "It's not a good idea," he grumbled, but I wasn't giving up.

Walking past him, I began to venture into the forest alone. If he wasn't going to help, then I'd do it on my own.

"Where are you going?" He asked, falling behind as I pushed all the huge leaves.

"To find the flowers from my book," I stressed, pushing past more huge plants. All the ones I pushed ended up slapping Vorian in the face each second.

I was acting a tad bit crazy, but this might be my only and last time out here. Moving further, the leaves finally deceased, and I came across a gigantic cliff.

Looking down, there was a heavy stream of water, and across was another patch of land. I bet the flowers were over there, I assumed.

Walking closer to the edge, my foot slipped on the rock as I leaned forward. A scar came from my body as I thought my life was over, but Vorian moved fast, pulling my body against his chest, saving me from a tragic fall.

I gripped his shirt, realizing I might have been too delusional. Lifting my head, we stared into each other's eyes as we were silent for a moment. I could tell Vorian didn't like me much; he was a rude brute... and always snapped when I spoke.

Stepping back, I smiled, thanking him for the help. "I told you to go home, but you don't listen," he growled, causing anger to boil inside me.
"I didn't ask you to follow," I retorted, moving away from the cliff.

"You would have been dead if I hadn't," he snapped back.

He had a point there. I didn't understand why he was so snappy around me; I've been nothing but nice and respectful.

"I think the flowers are over there," I said, pointing to the far pink coated mountains.

"If you go, will you never return to the forest?" He asked.

"Yes," I agreed.