Practice

Gathered around the table, we feasted on the deer hunted earlier. The atmosphere was lively, filled with laughter and good spirits.

Dr. Evans and I sat with Ash and his family at the head table. She was deep in conversation with the king and his son, reminiscing about old times. Dr. Evans had been helping their technicians, teaching them new techniques. When Vorian and I arrived soaking wet, his mother shot me a distasteful look as she pulled her son inside to dry off.

It was clear she disliked us, especially me. I could see where Eldrith got her anger. I sat beside Vorian, eating quietly.

"Vorian, tomorrow you should take Thalia to learn how to hunt," his mother joked, prompting laughter from everyone.

I knew how to hunt; my hand just hurt. "No point, Mother. That one is helpless," Eldrith mocked, eating her food.

"If she's going to live with us, she needs to know how to at least swing across a tree," their mother stressed.

"I can take her to the nursery and teach some medicine techniques," said another woman beside Ash, who was heavily pregnant and offered me a warm smile.

Their mother nodded, changing the subject, and they all stopped talking to me.

"I will teach her first thing in the morning," Vorian announced, earning nods.

I glared at him, knowing he was aware of my skills. He didn't say anything as we finished dinner. I grabbed some plates and followed the woman named Luna to the kitchen.

We placed all the bowls in a huge bucket before she led me to another room. "This is the infirmary," Luna said kindly.

Looking around, I recognized some of the Kratens from the prison, lying in beds with severe injuries.

"We try our best, but whatever happened to them is beyond our medicine," Luna said sadly.

My eyes softened at the sight. Whatever mixture the lieutenant sprayed them with was more deadly than I realized. It was killing them from the inside.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"The more you say that, the more I want to snap your neck," Eldrith snapped, carrying a fresh bucket of water.

She walked over to one of the injured Kratens and began tending to their wounds. I recognized them from school—it was Sori.

"Your people did this to them. We don't need apologies; we need you all to leave," she barked, causing me to step back.

Luna held my arm and pulled me away. "Eldrith is just upset. Don't take her words personally. You didn't inflict this on us," she whispered as I nodded.

"I should get some sleep," I said, walking to my room.

Opening the door, I was shocked to find Vorian inside. He held two bows and arrows, and I glanced at him, confused.

"Shouldn't you be asleep?" I sniffled, trying to hide the fact I was upset.

"We should practice," he said, lifting the weapons.

Clearing my mind seemed like a good idea, so I grabbed them and followed him out the window. Vorian jumped to the next tree, causing me to pause.

"I'll catch you, Thalia," he reassured me as I nervously stood.

"Trust me," he said, holding his hand out.

Closing my eyes for a second, I took a deep breath and put my fears behind me. Gripping the bow and arrow, I planted my feet and jumped to the next tree. Vorian caught me quickly as I gripped his chest. He smiled at me as I realized I had landed perfectly.

"I did it," I laughed, and he nodded.

We ran to the next tree, ready to jump again. This time, he held my hand as we leaped and landed.

I was proud of myself, realizing it was easier than I thought. Vorian led us to the ground, where the grass was high and many trees surrounded us.

"We can practice here," he said, grabbing his weapon and shooting it at a tree with perfect aim.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Picking up my weapon, I pulled the string back, aimed my arrow at his, and hit it.

Vorian seemed shocked by my technique. I smirked, grabbing another arrow and aiming it at the sky. In a split second, I hit a bird as it fell to the ground.

"I'm not helpless," I laughed, dropping the weapon.

My hand felt ten times better, and Vorian clapped, impressed. "So you can use a beginner's arrow, but what about a Kraten's?" he asked, passing me his bow.

It was larger and heavier than mine. I looked at him, confused by how he expected me to use it. "We are hunters and this is a hunter bow" he smirked.

"It's too big," I complained, but he ignored me and stood behind.

He lifted my arm with the bow, supporting my back. "You're a skilled fighter, right?" he mocked as I laughed.

"It might be heavy, but your strength comes from your core and arms," he said, squeezing my stomach.

I nodded, understanding. He moved his arm up and helped me pull back the arrow.

"Don't think about how heavy it is; think about your target," he whispered. I pulled the arrow back and shot at the tree.

I missed and sighed. "You'll get it," he said, passing me another arrow.

I tried again, taking his words to heart. I lifted the bow, my arm shaking but refusing to put it down. Pulling the arrow, I breathed in and out, shooting but missing the tree entirely. I groaned, frustrated.

"Try again," he shouted as I picked up the bow and tried once more, missing the target again.