Humans

Leaving Dr. Evans' lab, we headed back to the school. The Kratens had left, and it was just Halle and Jax sitting outside. I assumed the others had gone ahead and they were waiting by the truck that would take us back to base.

"Where did you go?" Halle asked rudely.

"Just for a walk," I answered quietly.

Moving past them, I climbed into the truck. The siblings followed and soon joined me inside. Jax was chatting away with the driver, while Halle glared at me the entire ride. It was incredibly awkward, and I was growing increasingly uncomfortable under her stare.

"How do you feel about the partner activity? I think it's the smartest thing Dr. Evans has done," Jax asked me.

"It's nice," was all I said.

The mention of the activity brought back Dr. Evans' words earlier. She had warned me not to trust anyone, but what did that mean? What was really going on here?

"It's a perfect plan to get information. Since you're paired with the chief's daughter, it's time you put in some work," Halle added to the conversation.

If she thought Eldreth would even bother to breathe near me, then she was in for a surprise. The girl clearly had no interest in humans, especially not in me.

"Plan?" I asked, backtracking on her words.

"She's just talking nonsense," Jax interjected.

I didn't ask further questions because they would just act weird and deflect. The truck slowed down and dropped us off at our building. We all got out and walked inside. Jax offered to walk us to our rooms, but Halle pushed him aside.

Standing at my door, Halle watched as I entered my code into the keypad. She stepped closer, placing her hand over the device.

"Thalia, I know you've been removed from your father's work, but I want you to know, we're a team now," she said warmly. It was odd, as I hadn't seen this side of Halle since elementary school.

"I do want us to reconnect as friends again... just like old times," she added.

I sighed, realizing maybe I had been acting distant. If this was going to be my new home, I should get along with my peers.

"Sorry if I've been out of it... I'm still adjusting," I confessed.

"I understand. How about tomorrow we have a girls' day?" she suggested.

Thinking it over, I didn't see a huge problem with the idea. Nodding, Halle gave me a warm smile before heading to her room.

Waving goodbye, I entered mine and grabbed my tablet. Swiping through the photo album, I smiled at pictures from our childhood. My mom used to cherish these moments, saying your youth is something you can never get back.

Wiping a few tears, I stared at a picture of my mom and me. I wished she was here, just so I could tell her I loved her one last time.

Next Morning
Sitting in Ava's room, all the girls were catching up. After breakfast, Halle had pulled us all together to spend some quality time.

Since it was the weekend, we didn't have to attend school and had the day off.

"Remember when Ava had that huge crush on Jax?" Michelle laughed, causing the rest of us to recall that embarrassing moment.

Ava hid her face as she pushed Michelle. "Please don't remind me," she begged.

"Then he told her he was in love with Thalia," Halle snickered. "And people call me the evil twin," she laughed.

I laughed along with them. It was nice to feel like a normal teenage girl again.

"This place is growing on me," Ava said lightly, looking around the room.

"When do you think our families can come?" Michelle questioned, a topic I hadn't even considered.

I assumed they would come in the next month or so, but Halle's expression suggested otherwise.

She placed her mug down and got comfortable on the bed. "Promise not to tell anybody," she whispered, and we all leaned in.

"My father told me that the planet isn't entirely habitable," she said, causing us to gasp.

"What do you mean by that?" I wondered, not understanding completely.

"As in we can't coexist here?" Ava asked in a light tone, but Halle shook her head.

"One of the soldiers recently died from radioactive waste. Apparently, the scientists say it's a toxin produced by the trees... it's deadly to our bodies," she added.

"Then how are we alive?" I asked, now confused by this theory.

"On base, there are no trees, which means no bad toxins. Plus, we're inside all the time with central air. Too much exposure to the natural habitat can lead to our death," she explained, and we all absorbed this crucial information.

If this was the case, why had nobody said anything? I saw men every day in gear ready to venture into the forest. How were they protected?

"Is there some cure? I mean, why would they send us here if we can all die?" Michelle asked in a panic. Halle rolled her eyes, slapping the girl's cheeks to snap her out of it.

"Don't freak out yet. The scientists have found a solution and have been working on a vaccine," she said, and Michelle began to calm down.

"What is the vaccine?" I asked, curious to know more.

"Not sure," she shrugged. "But my father says it'll be ready soon."