Rescue

We geared up, preparing for our mission to free the Kratens. Dr. Evans managed to gather a group of people from the base who disagreed with the corporal's ideas.

I loaded my weapons, placing guns in my belt. I didn't want to shoot anyone tonight, but if it came to that, I was ready.

We planned to strike at midnight. I explained the prison layout, emphasizing that the guards were most alert late at night.

The plan was to quietly take out the guards, enter the prison, and load the Kratens onto a truck to free them near the school.

"Thalia, I think it's best if you stay behind," Dr. Evans suggested, approaching me.

I shot her a confused look. "No, I want to help," I begged, but she remained hesitant.

"It's dangerous. I'm worried about your safety," she expressed, but I wasn't going to stay back. I shook my head in disagreement.

"I'll be fine once we fix this mess," I said, leaving her lab and heading downstairs.

Vorian eyed me before quickly following. Everyone was loading the trucks, leaving us alone outside the lab.

"She's right," he said, grabbing my arm.

"I know, but if I can do anything to help, I want to. Vorian, it was terrible in there," I whispered, my memory clear of the torture they endured.

There was no doubt in my mind that the lieutenant wouldn't hesitate to kill them all. She was evil, devoid of compassion.

"Tell me what happened," he begged, gripping my shoulders, but I refused.

"I-I can't," I said, tears welling up in my eyes again.

Vorian grabbed my face and pressed his lips hard against mine. I melted into it as we moved our lips in sync. Everything felt calm, and my mind was quiet.

We pulled apart, and I saw tears in his eyes too. Did he just read my mind through our kiss? I wondered.

"I will get them out of there tonight," he growled.

"Thalia?" someone shouted, causing me to push Vorian back.

I stared at Ava, fear growing in my body. She eyed me with a flashlight in her hand as Vorian and I stood side by side.

"Ava—" I began, but she started running, making me curse under my breath. She must have seen and heard everything.

I ran after her as she sprinted to her car. Grabbing her arm, I stopped her from getting in as she screamed, trying to fight me off.

"Let go," she shouted.

"You can't leave or tell anybody," I begged, finally getting her to stop fighting me.

"Thalia, you kissed the enemy!" she whispered. I knew what she saw looked misleading.

Dr. Evans ran up, looking confused. I had no idea what to do with Ava; she couldn't ruin our plan tonight.

"We have to go now," Dr. Evans stressed, walking to her car with Vorian behind her.

I groaned, staring at Ava. "Can you trust me tonight?" I asked.

"Why are you helping those creatures escape, Thalia?" she asked as I closed my eyes.

"Ava, just promise to trust me. What they're doing to them is inhumane," I stressed. "The corporal plans to drain all their blood. He wants to start a war," I explained, Ava's eyes widening in surprise.

"Thalia, we have to go," Dr. Evans shouted as I let Ava's arm go.

"Promise you won't tell," I begged, beginning to walk to the car.

"I won't," Ava whispered as I ran to get in the back seat, and we drove away to the prison.

Vorian was covered in a huge blanket as he lay in the trunk. Since it was late at night, nobody was outside. This mission could go one of two ways: successful or terrible.

But I needed to stay optimistic. We pulled up to the back of the prison. Our initial plan was to free them on the south border, but it was too far.

Some of Dr. Evans' friends began breaking the wall on this end for easy access to the forest. We all got out of the truck, assembling ourselves.

The group was small, but the mission was clear: take out the guards and free the Kratens. Dr. Evans began instructing people on where to go.

"Thalia, you stay out here for my signal," she said, stopping me from following.

"What? Why must I stay?" I asked, puzzled by her words.

"We need more strength out here if the guards show up. My men aren't as skilled with weapons as you," she explained. I calmed down, understanding her reasoning.

Vorian kept his cloak over his head as he followed Dr. Evans. I sighed, walking back to the gate where the men pushed the boxes covering the hole.

Checking my watch, it was 1 a.m. This rescue shouldn't take long, I hoped. As we waited for the signal, I got to know some of Dr. Evans' men.

"So you all have worked in the lab for four years?" I asked, stunned by their dedication.

There were four of them outside with me, all part of the lab. "Yep, Dr. Evans is respectful, unlike the corporal," Emma said. She was the youngest of the group, only 20 years old.

"Thalia, you've been sheltered from the reality of this place," Gavin added. He was the lead engineer on base, an older man.

I nodded, acknowledging the truth. My father kept me in the dark, and I was oblivious to what was right in front of me.

"She told me what they've done at the lab," I whispered, and the group grew quiet.

"The corporal is putting a death sentence on all of us. What he's doing in there... you wouldn't believe," Gavin added, and I felt a pang of sympathy.

A small flash from above the prison signaled us, and we all stood up quickly. Getting in place, a group came running back with a few Kratens.

I smiled, seeing Dr. Evans leading them. "Hurry, this way," she shouted as they all ran into the woods.

We did it, I thought. As Dr. Evans got closer, her face held a proud look. "How many more?" I asked, filled with glee.

"Just a few—" she began, but the base alarm went off, causing us all to panic.