Epilogue

Screaming at the top of my lungs, my face contorted with pain. Blood flowed from below as I begged for it to stop. Queen Pollen rushed to my side as they placed me in the water hole. Vorian, by my side, wore a horrified expression.

"Is it alright?" I shouted, but Queen Pollen remained silent. Her team worked swiftly to stop the bleeding. I was 12 weeks pregnant, feeling fine until this sudden, excruciating pain struck. It had been a normal day, helping Luna get Ashley to bed, until she saw the blood running down my legs.

Panic overwhelmed me. Luna called for Queen Pollen, who responded quickly. As I lay in the river, everyone was silent, stopping the bleeding and cleaning me up. I was breathing heavily, staring at them, desperate to know if the baby was safe.

Queen Pollen stood up, her expression somber. I knew that look all too well. I began to shake my head, biting my lip to hold back the tears.

"It was another miscarriage," she said. Vorian held me tightly as I screamed in agony.

"Another one," I whispered, my body trembling from my third miscarriage. "It can't be," I shouted, clinging to Vorian.

For the first time, Queen Pollen shed a tear for me. She knelt down and hugged me. I had never felt such love or comfort from her before.

"Cry, my child," she whispered, and I poured my heart out in her arms.

Losing a third baby made me feel like a failure as a mother. The first miscarriage happened a year ago. We were so excited to start a family. Ashley was nearing her second birthday, and we wanted her to have cousins, but at 8 weeks, I miscarried. It wasn't as painful as this one, but Queen Pollen was there as the blood flowed down my legs.

"Go get her some food," Queen Pollen instructed Vorian. He hesitated before leaving.

My breathing was shaky as Queen Pollen rocked me, brushing my hair. "You are strong, Thalia," she whispered as my heart shattered.

"I can't provide," I replied. "I can't have any children."

"No, you will carry my son's seed to full term. It is just not meant to be right now. Do not blame yourself for the loss of a child," she reassured me.

Vorian returned with a bowl of food from dinner and gave it to his mother. She helped me eat as we stayed in the pond, taking moments to regain my strength.

"You are strong, Thalia," she repeated, though my eyes held no joy.

I wanted everyone gone. I wanted to be alone. "Thalia, it'll be okay—" Vorian began, but hearing his voice broke my heart. He had been so excited for this baby. The joy in his eyes when we found out... now we were back here again.

"Just go," I shouted. He paused, confused. Queen Pollen gave him a sympathetic look and nodded for him to leave.

It was just me and Queen Pollen as my sobs subsided. She hummed a tune, the same one Vorian did when I was in the hospital. It calmed my nerves and helped me relax.

"Shhh, child," she whispered as I clung to her, shaking from this harsh reality.

"I don't think I can take anymore," I said. She nodded, holding me tightly.

Queen Pollen pulled out a vial of amber-colored liquor and handed it to me. "Drink this," she said softly. "It's medicine to help your body and put you to sleep, to turn off your brain for a moment."

I hesitated, staring at the swirling liquid inside the vial. "Will it really help?" I asked, my voice barely more than a whisper.

"It will," she assured me, her eyes filled with understanding. "Sometimes, we need a little help to get through the toughest moments."

With trembling hands, I uncorked the vial and took a tentative sip. The liquor was bitter and burned as it went down, but almost immediately, I felt a warmth spread through my body. The edges of my vision began to blur, and a sense of calm started to wash over me.

"Rest now," Queen Pollen said, guiding me to lie down on the soft, moss-covered floor. "Tomorrow is a new day, and with it comes new strength."

As my eyes grew heavy, I felt her hand gently stroking my hair. The room seemed to fade away, and all that remained was her soothing presence and the lingering melody of her song.