New Home

I heard the dinner call and told everyone they could wrap up from practice. The men all cheered as they ran back to their families.

Carrying my weapon, my arm ached from being slammed to the ground pretty hard. As I walked past my mother, she stopped me. "Are you done playing around?" she asked, catching me off guard.

"You have disgraced me. Choosing a human over your family... your brother would never," she barked as I sighed.

I'd had enough of her criticizing Thalia. It wasn't her fault what had happened... the humans would have attacked us regardless of her.

"I am not Ash, mother," I groaned, stopping to turn and look at her.

"And she is not one of us," she said, emphasizing her words.

Pulling my hand away from her, I firmly replied, "She is just as much a part of this family as everyone else." Grabbing two plates, I left.

My heart sank as I thought about how I had treated Thalia. She'd gotten enough grief from my mother; she didn't need me snapping at her. She was only worried.

Pushing the leaves aside, I walked inside and placed my weapons on the floor. Thalia was on the floor sharpening her spear. She glanced at me.

I felt like I was walking on eggshells; the atmosphere was tense. Walking over, I placed our meal on the floor close to her.

"Dinner tonight," I whispered. She nodded, grabbing the plate and turning her back to me.

I groaned, realizing she was still upset. "Are you going to ignore me all night?" I asked, eating the food.

"I'm just staying out of your people's business," she snapped, her back still turned to me.

My words were coming back to haunt me. I didn't mean for it to come out that way or make Thalia feel like she wasn't part of the clan.

It's been a lot on all of us, especially her. Moving closer, I pulled her body around so she could face me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, rubbing her arm as she still avoided eye contact.

"You are my mate and part of this family now," I added. She began to look up at me slowly, taking in my words. I lifted my arm and groaned as the pain shot back up.

Thalia looked at me, concerned, as she pulled me closer and lifted my arm. The movement alone made me hiss; there was a huge bruise on the back of my arm.

"What happened?" she shouted, looking at it.

Biting my lip, I tried to downplay it. I was supposed to see Luna later for treatment because I knew Thalia would make a big deal out of it.

"Just fell," I mumbled. It was half the truth; getting knocked down shouldn't have hurt as bad as it did.

"I told you to take a break," she stressed, standing up to grab some medicine. I smiled, watching her open the bottle.

Thalia might have been upset with me, but I knew we were going to be alright. She carefully spread the ointment across my arm, and I relaxed, feeling its cooling effect.

"Does it hurt?" she asked as I shook my head.

I felt her warm breath against my skin as she finished and wrapped my arm with a leaf. Once she was done, I held a dummy smile, causing her to stare at me, confused.

"Don't act smug. I'm still upset," she grumbled, walking back and sitting down.

Lying down, I watched her put space between us. I sighed; she always lay in my arms, and now she acted like she couldn't stand me.

Reaching out, I grabbed her waist and used my strength to pull her small body towards mine. The movement made my arm ache, but I didn't care.

Thalia turned quickly, staring at me in disbelief. "Just sleep next to me," I whispered, placing my head above hers as she relaxed.

"You are a big baby," she said quietly as I rubbed her back.

I laughed, missing her sharp remarks. "I can't sleep without you in my arms," I playfully said, resting my head on top of hers.

"Eldrith told me about your opponent," she began. "Is there any way you can hold off?" Thalia's eyes were watering.

I sighed, shaking my head. The battle was in the morning, and I was going through with it. My father would have wanted me to, as would my brother.

"It is tradition, Thalia," I said, knowing she was only worried.

"But—but you're injured and it's too soon," she continued.

It had only been two days since the attack, and my mother made it a mission to declare me king. She said we couldn't wait any longer.

"I am a Kraten. Son of Uhroh the Furious... I will win," I said, smiling proudly at her as she nodded.